Pot Lights - Insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

Coopns

Reaction score
I have an exsisting fixture going in between 1 and 2 floor. Height is 8 or so inches and insulated. I bought a pot light but it is the non insulated type. Can I simply remove any insulation around that area. Is there a min distance insulation/can distance?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The installation instructions will state the minimum free air space required around the fixture. It will normally, also be on a sticker on the fixture. You may need to make a dam or box to keep the insulation outside of those dimensions. While similar, each model will be a little different. The alternative is to buy an IC-contact rated version. They are usually not much more, but you may not find that version in a remodel version. This would require you cut then patch the ceiling rather than just cut a hole and insert the lamp.

Coopns

Reaction score
So if I remove any insulatioin anywhere near it...like within a foot, I should be ok. I saw one pot light at the store and it says within 4 inches but I didn't buy that model.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Every one is different (but similar for similar max wattage). If the insulation is likely to migrate, you may need a dam to ensure it won't get closer than safe. If you just push it back, it could spring back later. If the room above is heated as well, then you could just remove a bunch...it is likely there for noise control.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks