Possible to use fleck 5600 sxt-backwash for an iron filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Ryan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently in a rush, I bought a fleck 5600 sxt backwash model when I was looking for a softener head. I have since got a softener head, but I have a decision to make about the backwash model that I was hoping to get some advice.

I can return it with a 20% restocking fee. Or I was wondering if it could be used to build an iron filter for my parents well which also comes off a 3/4" supply to the house. I would really appreciate your advice as I am a novice at all this.

God Bless!

Reach4

Reaction score
Not big enough to backwash Katalox Light in a 10 inch tank.

Jason Ryan

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. It is looking more and more like I am stuck with this bashwash only 5600sxt. Is there anyway that I can convert it from backwash only to a full softening head so I can at least resell it?

Reach4

Reaction score
It is possible, but not economically practical I think.

Jason Ryan

Reaction score
Ok, maybe I can resell as a backwash valve only. Since the 5600sxt is too small for an AIO system, is there a recommended head that I can look for to try and build a system? I see lots of full systems for sale, but seems like many have a fleck so want to make sure to get something adequate. Would also like to build the system myself if it could have significant savings. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Fleck 2510 has the throughput to do backwashing of filter media.

Clack WS1 should be able to do it too.

I am not convinced that it will be much cheaper to build it yourself. Depending on where you buy, what you receive is more like a kit anyway. Some ship media preloaded into the tanks. That saves more work than you would imagine IMO.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks