Possible to replace cast iron pipes and remodel bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Laotsien

Reaction score
I just bought a house which was built in 1925. The basement has a water boiler and a gas hot water. The original cast iron radiators are in place, as are the original iron cast pipes that circumnavigate the basement at a height just above my head.

Can I add a shower to this half bath to make it full without replacing these pipes to pex, and still make aesthetically look good?

Do these pipes have to be replaced to pex to make shower possible?

Boiler and pipes
93D0EFE5-8B74-4F6E-9592-68428FE46E87.jpeg

A big tank near the ceiling of basement
4458667A-BB38-44F4-99BB-51EDC148A00C.jpeg

Toilet and pipes on the ceiling
71703EC9-7C1A-4B73-B9AE-1B668DBC58CA.jpeg

Close look of pipes
878CFD2F-D1A0-4AEA-AA63-90CC7F39AD56.jpeg

Fitter30

Reaction score
You have hot water heat the big tank is a expansion tank that is abandoned replaced with a bladder tank next to the boiler grey in color. All that black pipe is probably 97 years old. Might be able to raise it but i wouldn't touch it unless your ready to open a big can of worms. A big expense was the removal of the old boiler and all the asbestos off the piping.

Laotsien

Reaction score
You have hot water heat the big tank is a expansion tank that is abandoned replaced with a bladder tank next to the boiler grey in color. All that black pipe is probably 97 years old. Might be able to raise it but i wouldn't touch it unless your ready to open a big can of worms. A big expense was the removal of the old boiler and all the asbestos off the piping.
Thanks for your information. The boiler is just 4 years old. Not sure if it’s a good choice to replace that

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks