Possible to convert a green sand filter

Users who are viewing this thread

chrisgjim

Reaction score
Have a green sand filter that is ten years old.Have not used it in the last few years because the medium tank would always get clogged. Want to put in a new system but was wondering if it would be cost effective to change the tank to a Manganese Dioxide system. It just seems a shame to toss out the tank.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
When you say medium tank, do you mean the media tank or the pot perm tank?

It can be easily converted, but when you say a magnesium dioxide tank, are you looking to convert it to a maganese dioxide ore mineral? Greensand is a manganese dioxide coated media.

Manganese dioxide ore (pyrolox, Filox etc.) is a very heavy media that requires considerable backwash rates to operate properly. What control valve, tank size, and water temperature do you have?

chrisgjim

Reaction score
Here is what I have. Water softener works fine but is ten years old. My iron filter tank is 10X54 It is ten years old and uses a brine tank for potassium permanganate. We had trouble with it plugging up or just going thru a ton of potassium. My water test came in at iron 2.0 mg/l hardness 180 mg/l ph 7.38 tested my flow rate and it was 12.75.

I had (probably a stupid idea) of just replacing the valve on the iron tank and changing the medium in the iron tank with something that would be better than what I have. Can it be done and is it cost effective. If you guys think I should just buy a new system do you have any recommendations.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It depends on the control valve you currently have. Can you post a picture? Medias have come a long way and there are many great and cost effective medias that replace greensand.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks