Possible short in wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

bill mcgirth

Reaction score
Good morning -

I think I may have a possible short in my bathroom light-switch but I would love to hear from others on the matter. I will run down the series of events:

House is 48 years old. I changed a blown bulb in the bathroom ceiling fixture. Later on that day I turned on the light and when I went to turn it off it remained on. The light switch is connected to an outlet in the box and the box is grounded - not the individual components. The switch controls the light and a ceiling vent. I turned off the power at the Circuit Breaker, changed the light switch, turned power back on and the switch worked - I flipped it on and off several times over a minute or two. I left the switch on while I did my bizness and when I went to turn it off I had the same issue with the light staying on. I shut off the power, changed the outlet as well and the same sequence of events occurred - works for a minute or two but if left on for an extended period it remains on. The rest of the lighting controlled by the circuit works as it should.

Anyone else ever experience this? Any ideas on the matter?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
You could get involved with troubleshooting with a meter, but I would just replace the switch based on the symptoms.

It could be a more difficult problem, but there is a very good chance that it is the switch.

bill mcgirth

Reaction score
You could get involved with troubleshooting with a meter, but I would just replace the switch based on the symptoms.

It could be a more difficult problem, but there is a very good chance that it is the switch.

I replaced both the switch and adjoining outlet

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's nearly impossible without being there...first, look at where the wires come into the box and check the insulation. Depending on the age, type, and exposure of the insulation...on some, it can start to crack and even crumble away. Make sure that you don't have the tail of the wire too long and touching other terminals.

Terminology-wise, for a switch to fail to break the circuit...there would have to be a short between the switch leg and the hot or power source. IF the power source were shorted to ground, it would trip the breaker or blow a fuse.

It could be a tight staple that is making a short circuit somewhere, or an errant nail in the wall, and those are much harder to locate to fix. OFten, in that case, it's easier to just run a new lead once you've identified which cable is damaged. I had one that gave me fits for awhile, and eventually, I isolated it to one run. It would have required tearing apart lots to find the exact location of the problem, so I just ran a new wire.

Isolating this take some knowledge and logic. Understanding where the power comes into the device being controlled, and where the switch leg is, verses the power cable is required, and takes some experimentation with a meter (and the knowledge of how to use it properly). A modern DMM can give some misleading results if you don't understand what's going on.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Like Jim said, wonder if this could be a nail. Have you recently put in any new nails or screws?

I put up some garage shelves using stamped metal L-brackets screwed to the drywall in my garage. Some time later a GFCI popped off and I didn't immediately connect the two events. The GFCI wouldn't reset. I then remembered the shelving project, removed one screw at a time, and figured out which one hit the wire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks