Possible roof vent issue

Users who are viewing this thread

MPGI

Reaction score
I am wondering if a bathroom (toilet, sink, shower) roof vent can become clogged? Reason, upstairs bathroom had a vile smell (sewer gas like) this morning. The bathroom is used multiple times daily. This never happened before. Also, one of the downstairs toilets occasionally burps. I checked the other bathrooms and sinks to make sure they worked properly and they do. None of them were dried out. I'm on a septic system that is pumped out regularly. We are very careful with what goes into the septic. That is why I am wondering if a vent is clogging up.

MPGI

Reaction score
Okay, I always like to 'close the loop' and report back what I find so others can benefit.
It was way sooner than normal to have our septic pumped but I went ahead and called our septic service and explained the problem. They said it sounds like a vent issue but agreed to come out and inspect. We had a terrific (violent) storm a day before they came to inspect the system and it appears whatever was obstructing the vent was blown free. The septic company said a plumber might be needed to address this but I will start with our roofing company when they do our impending inspection before hurricane season.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's good problem went away.
When extreme wind comes it often causes water in p traps to lower causing stink. Interesting conclusion that Septic guy has that the vent was plugged but perhaps something led to this suspicion

Chrissyhool

Reaction score
If it smells, then it's most probably a plumbing issue. It's unlikely the vent would cause the nasty smell. I would call a good plumber to check the tubes and the waterline. It's interesting why the septic guys concluded it might be an issue with the vent.
The roof vent can get clogged, but it's usually not that bad. If you want to exclude this variant, then ask roof contractors from the Indianapolis roof company to come and check the issue. I don't recommend doing it yourself because it might be risky.
It would be cool to see a follow-up post about the causes of the problem and whether the vent was alright.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks