Possible Leak / Sink Hole?

Users who are viewing this thread

joking91388

Reaction score
First time poster here just looking for some advice. Over the weekend I noticed a concerning depression in the ground that extends from the main water connection to my mobile home and extending out from under the skirting. My biggest concern is that the underground piping may have sprung a leak and created a sink hole situation.

Before I start digging what promises to be a very deep hole to visually inspect the pipe I wanted to post here and see if any one had a recommendation for an easier way to determine a leak?

It is a well water system, I'm pretty sure there isn't a meter anywhere, I haven't opened up the well cover yet but I do plan to do that later this evening maybe.

Reach4

Reaction score
I assume your pump is down the well (submersible)

Do you have a check valve above ground before the pressure tank? If you don't know, you can post a photo of the input to the pressure tank and the pipe leading to there from the well.

How long is this depression? If it is the full length of the path, I would think it would be the fill into the trench settling, rather than an indication of a leak.

joking91388

Reaction score
Attached are some photos of the depression. It is only a few feet. The run to the well is probably nearing 100ft. It is most likely a submerged pump, I don't know if there is a check valve or not, I'll get some photos of whats under the cover after work today and post back with those. The well is covered with one of the artificial rocks I'm assuming that is where the pressure tank is?

The first image below is under the home showing the main connection, the 2nd shows how it extends out from under the home.

20200516_123249.jpg
20200516_123239.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I see nothing alarming in that minor subsidence. Just settling. If your dirt elsewhere is a lot better for growing grass, and you want to grow grass over that line, you may have to get the upper few inches of clay removed and replaced with topsoil. If the rest of your dirt looks like that, then that would not apply. When trenching a yard, it is best that they save the topsoil to the side, and put that on top when done. It costs more to do that, so often it's common to have a no-good-grass situation over a former trench.

You did not address the possible check valve. Ideally there would be no check valve before the pressure switch except for down the well. If you had no above-ground check valve, you could turn off the pump. Close the valve which feeds water to the home. Note the pressure. Go away for a while. See that the pressure has not dropped. If no drop, no leak before that valve.

The reason for closing that valve was in case there was a leak or usage in the house, that could cause the pressure to drop, despite no underground leak.

joking91388

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the information. It is comforting to have a second opinion. For peace of mind I will try to do the pressure test you detailed, assuming I can figure out how to turn off the pump and how to read the pressure.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the information. It is comforting to have a second opinion. For peace of mind I will try to do the pressure test you detailed, assuming I can figure out how to turn off the pump and how to read the pressure.
Glad this came up. Those are things you want to know how to do.

joking91388

Reaction score
Wanted to post back with an update. I removed the well cover, didn't think that was going to require so much digging...lol. I didn't see anything that looked like a check valve but I'm not a plumber so who knows.

There was a pressure gauge already installed. So I tracked down the breaker for the well pump, it ended up being in a box under my electric meter, shut it off. Then turned off the shutoff under the house.

I let it sit for about half an hour and the gauge doesn't seem to have budged any so I think that is a good sign?

May just fill in the hole to keep water and critters from getting under the house now.

Thanks again for the help!

Plumbing Layout:

pressure-tank.jpg

Pressure Before:

gauge-before.jpg

Pressure After:

gauge-after.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Good deal! No above ground check valve, and there is the valve shutting off water to the house.

Also note that valve/spigot with the black handle. Every so often (annually?) you want to turn off the pump (at the breaker usually) and run the tank empty. Use a hose (your shortest), and play the first and last water into a bucket to see how much sediment comes out. Repeat as needed. The last water will come out after the pressure switch clicks.

If the pressure gauge does not go to zero, replace that gauge. Yours looks to be in good shape, but it is worth taking a look.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks