Possible flange broken

Users who are viewing this thread

courbro

Reaction score
I am planning on tiling my bathroom floor and walls so I decided to be a "good diy-er" and pick up the toilet instead of tiling up to the toilet. Well upon taking up the toilet (where both closet bolts were corroded) I found that the toilet flange did have a cracked part (not major) but I was concerned with what looks like a crack around the inside of the top of the pipe coming from the floor. I want to make sure I can take on what repair is needed but want it done right. Could you tell me if there is a way to repair this without calling in plumbing professionals?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
If you post a pic we can probably help more...
As well, do a search on this forum for "closet flange" - a number of threads should offer some help...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like the pipe is cast iron. Where is this? cement slab, first floor, second? Do you have access to this from underneath? If you do, you might just want to snap it off and replace with pvc or abs, whichever is more available where you live.

Ideally, the flange is installed on top of your new tile and anchored through it to the subfloor.

If that fails, check out repair rings. It will give you something to anchor the toilet to.

courbro

Reaction score
No the pipe is PVC and on the second level. The flange is properly positioned above the floor but the portion where the insert gets narrow seems like its cracked. I have seen some pictures on this site showing a line around this section indicating that it should have a seam of some sort but mine seems broken. I tried to post a picture but could not upload it. I'll try again later but for now I'm on my way to Lowes!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks