Possible Cross-Contamination in APEC RO Water Filters. Is Air Gap Necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

WorldPeace

Reaction score
I recently installed an APEC reverse-osmosis under-the-sink water filter for my home. And, I was surprised that it didn't include an air-gap faucet. It appears that other leading water filter brands do not include one either. It's an upgrade. I'm wondering why there isn't more concern over cross-contamination.

I've recently read several plumbing books. And, I read that an air gap is required with any cross-connections. Backflow preventers do not suffice because they only prevent large reversals of water. They don't prevent contaminations of small amounts due to backpressure.

During the water filter installation, you connect the water filter's drain line directly to the kitchen sink's tailpiece. Kitchen waste can get siphoned up into this drain line and into the reverse-0smosis membrane.

They do sell air-gap faucets for an additional, to which you connect the drain line. The faucet contains the air gap you need. Shouldn't this be standard? Or, am I being overly paranoid? I guess I'm scared because I read about a major lawsuit against a developer that didn't use air gaps with water softeners in a particular development. Families got majorly sick.

(I guess this concern also extends to dishwasher high loops. Since they are beneath the counter, dishwashers can also experience backflow. Should I get rid of my dishwasher's high line and install an air gap instead?)

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the RO has a direct connection to the drain then it is a hazard. Same with a dishwasher. Dishwashers are not sold with air gaps, that is left to the installer to figure out. Same applies with the RO.

Leanman82

Reaction score
I am majorly confused. Why would the brine line suck up water due to backpressure? Most RO installation shows the brine line to be fairly many inches away from the bend so I don't see how it could suck up the water unless the waste water reaches and touches the brine line??

In my case, I am fairly certain mines is way out of the way so I don't see how this could be an issue. Can someone explain the reason why a air gap faucet might be needed? It seems like its not necessary in all case. I could be wrong.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks