Possessed fill valve and stuck-on refill tube

Users who are viewing this thread

G

gantt

My Toto toilet tank refills inconsistently: sometimes slowly, sometimes not at all, and then nearly normally. I haven't found any pattern. It has a Power Gravity 528 fill valve, which I assume is the source of the issue. Any ideas what could be causing this behavior? Does it seem like something that could be fixed by servicing/cleaning the valve, or is it time for a new fill valve?

Assuming it might be resolved by cleaning the valve, I can't get very far as the first step seems to be removing the refill tube from the valve, and it is stuck on. I've tried twisting it, rocking it, pulling it, even filling it with warm water to try to get it to expand, but I haven't been able to get it to budge. As far as I know, the valve cover cannot be removed and the internal parts cannot be accessed without removing the refill tube. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://terrylove.com/korky/

The fill tube is removed first, and then the cap can be lifted off with tab on the near side.

toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg

gantt

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/korky/

The fill tube is removed first, and then the cap can be lifted off with tab on the near side.

toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg
Thanks, I understand the fill tube must be removed first - my issue is that I cannot get the tube off the fill valve (where it connects through the opening in the blue cap on the left in your photo), using maximum pulling force while holding the valve steady with my other hand.

I've tried twisting the tube and it does seem to rotate a little, but I'm unable to pull it off.

I've considered trying to apply some type of lubricant, like WD-40, but I can't see a good way to get it where it needs to go, except maybe through the other end of the tube. Or maybe white vinegar? Obviously I don't want to destroy the parts.

Any suggestions for how to remove the tube would be appreciated.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to replace the whole fill valve, which seems like a waste if the root cause of the filling issue could be resolved by servicing the valve/cleaning the float, filter, etc. :(

On a separate note, the site didn't recognize my account after I created it and created this thread. I had to create a new account again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When the rubber in the cap starts to get old, it can stick, and not start to refill immediately. As it continues to age, it will get brittle and crack, leaking.

It costs about $3 and takes a couple of minutes (longer the first time you do it) with no tools. Usually, that fixes it, but worst case, you replace the whole thing.

How long they last depends on two factors:
- water pressure; higher, they wear out faster
- water chemicals; those on a well with no chemicals added will tend to last (sometimes, much) longer

What's holding the rubber tube in place is just the resilience of the elasticity of the rubber...it's pushed on over a rounded ridge, and will pull off. Hold the tower so you aren't putting a huge side load on it, and pull harder.

korky-r528-cap-terrylove-01.jpg

gantt

Reaction score
Thanks. The cap/valve is not refilling the tank at all, at the moment. If it's leaking, it's unclear where the water is going. It's more like water is not flowing at all. Maybe the float is getting stuck?

Anyway, maybe I could get someone else to hold the fill valve stationary so I can focus all my force on the refill tube - but if the tube material has become so stiff it won't pull off over that ridge without extreme force, I doubt it will go back on again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, I understand the fill tube must be removed first - my issue is that I cannot get the tube off the fill valve (where it connects through the opening in the blue cap on the left in your photo), using maximum pulling force while holding the valve steady with my other hand.

I've tried twisting the tube and it does seem to rotate a little, but I'm unable to pull it off.
Then don't remove the fill tube from the fill valve. I think it is flexible enough to not interfere with your operation. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

gantt

Reaction score
Thanks. I did just now see someone on YouTube go that route (leaving the fill tube connected and just sliding the cover over and along the tube). It looked like it probably put additional stress on the tube, fitting/cap and valve, but I guess it worked for them!

But I was able to get the tube off. Heated water in the microwave and then poured it down the tube from the end formerly clipped to the overflow tube. Waited a couple of minutes, pulled hard again and off it came.

In process of cleaning the parts and we'll see if it all goes back together again, and if it solves the problem...

gantt

Reaction score
Disassembling and/or cleaning the fill valve parts seems to have fixed it.

Nothing looked that dirty, but there's definitely some yucky stuff in the water supply.
Wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with an obstruction of the pilot hole in the cap. It's tiny and key to the operation.
I'm amazed the darned things work at all!

And no problem getting the refill tube back on the fitting. It turns out that ridge on the fitting is actually tapered like a doorstop, not rounded, so it's easy to put the tube on but a $!@# to take if off...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks