Portable Sink Troubles

Users who are viewing this thread

nhaho

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to build a portable sink. I bought a EcoPlus 185 Fixed Flow Submersible/Inline Pump 158 GPH - 728300 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018WVNXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to pump water from a 7 gallon tank I have underneath a sink stand.

I have one 6ft polycarbonate tube going from this input tank to the pump and another 6ft tube going from the pump to the faucet through the faucet's cold water connection hose (I capped the hot water connection hose). I have a handful of connectors connecting those pieces.

The faucet is cheap Ikea sink (a Lagan single lever kitchen faucet http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70085029/).

I left the faucet in the "running" position, connected everything, and turned on the pumped. The first time I tried this, I did not submerse the pump in the water. The pump wasn't sucking in any water from the input tank. I then tried submersing the pump in a shallow bowl of water. It was able to suck up water and some water did start to make its way up from the pump to the faucet, but it never reached the faucet.

Someone helping me with the setup thought the pump just wasn't strong enough and suggested getting a new one. My understanding is that 158 GPH is pretty standard for a bathroom/kitchen sink, so I don't think this is the problem. I think it's the faucet or the combination of the tubes and pump jumbled up underneath the sink stand making the pump work harder than necessary. I'd rather not have to buy another pump if possible since there's quite a bit of leap in price after 158 GPH, but I will if this is the problem.

As a very inexperienced DIY-er (let alone plumber), I would appreciate any advice on what to try. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gph is not the question. What is the psi the pump produces since that is what lifts the water into the faucet. We do NOT know how you have it connected since you did not submit a photo, but almost any pump should give enough lift to force water out of the faucet.

nhaho

Reaction score
gph is not the question. What is the psi the pump produces since that is what lifts the water into the faucet. We do NOT know how you have it connected since you did not submit a photo, but almost any pump should give enough lift to force water out of the faucet.

My apologies. I can't find any information on the psi the pump produces (I'll keep searching), but here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 302
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 322
  • Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 291
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks