Poorboy Irrigation

Users who are viewing this thread

bigzig

Reaction score
Hello to the forum,

Just a homeowner here with no well know-how and this is my first post so....here goes. We just bought our place and it has an old well on it. According to the previous owner it is 600' deep. It was installed 25 plus years ago. It has a 4" galv case. In its day it served both our house and the neighbor before it started to "pump mud" 2 years ago and was de-comissioned. It was decided that city water was the way to go versus trying to re-hab or drill new.

Is it possible to make use of some of that 600' to sprinkle on my yard? No drinkin', just sprinklin'. I'd like to do a Rube Goldberg on it to see if the existing hole can be used in some way. Any ideas? The guys that drilled it just want to drill new. BIG$

Is it possible to insert a suction line such as 1" tubing through the existing dicharge pipe to pull suction from a new pump on the surface?? I only want to run maybe 4 sprinkler heads and it does not need to flow much.

OK, when you stop laughing, please give some thought to the situation. Any ideas or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As I told a contractor once, "You can pump water TO the Moon, but you can only SUCK it up 28 feet". If the well is 600' deep the ONLY way to get water out of it is to put the pump at the bottom and pump the water out.

bigzig

Reaction score
Hello Mr. Mod and thanks for the reply. So, the existing pump would have to have a 580' water column in the discharge and once I pumped it down 28' below the elevation of the suction of the surface pump it would peter out? Hmm. Is there a way to change the elevation of the existing well, DIY style??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks