Pool electrical question

Users who are viewing this thread

dcf1999

Reaction score
I'm looking at re-wireing the pump at my pool. Currently, all the electrical outlets by the pool (for pump and pool lights) are controlled by a timer in the garage. At night, to turn the lights on in the pool, I also have to turn on the pump by manually turning on the timer. I'd like to have a "always hot" outlet as well as a "timer" outlet out by the pool. I like the fact that the timer is in garage and don't want to install an outdoor timer.

I attached pictures as I'm not good at explaining exactly what I want to accomplish.

There is 12/2 NM coming into timer I want to then transition that to 12/3 going out to pool. Inside the timer box I'd connect the hot from 12/2 to the red of the 12/3 (that will be my always hot line for lights) and also connect a hot line to the timer's hot "input". Then the timers hot "out" line would go to the black of the 12/3. The 12/3 would go to a box outside the garage and transition into THHN/THWN through conduit to pool.

Can I do this? Or do I have to run two 12/2 lines out to outdoor box?

Like I said, I'm horrible and explaining things so see attached pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Figure 1: alternate way to wire it.
Figure 2: what I want to do.
Figure 3: electrical by pool.

Also any tips or comments also welcome

Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. Get rid of the green wires in your drawings. We, and you, know you need them and they just muddy the picture.
2. I looks like what you show will do what you want.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks