Pony panel in attached garage (Alberta)

Users who are viewing this thread

interalian

Reaction score
I have a basic 15A circuit in the main service panel to the attached garage for lights and the code-minimum plugs. The original owner also had a 40A 240 line run to a range plug for some reason. I have no use for that and would like to convert the circuit to feed an 8 or 10 circuit pony panel and have some 15A 120 circuits and a 15A 240 circuit for an air compressor. Problem is, the last 15' of the existing run of cable is partially routed through a wall and I don't want to demolish a bunch of finished main floor drywall or exterior siding to extract it. I can cut it just before it disappears up from the basement and abandon that last 15', but the remaining cable will then be too short to reach from the main panel to my desired pony panel location.

So, is it acceptable to have a junction in a line like that? Or not. If not, I'll need to buy 100' of 8/3 - not cheap.

Also, if I do abandon that last 15' of cable, is there anything special I need to do with it? Mark it somehow?

Yes, I know I don't tie neutral to ground in the pony panel, and the work will be inspected as part of a current basement renovation. How high off the garage floor does the bottom of the ponly panel have to be?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You can cut the wire and spice into it to extend the run to the location you want, however, 8 gauge wire you must use the right size wire nuts.

Maximum wire capacity of one #6 wire and two #8 wires for the Blue Wing
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-454-Blue-Wing-Nut-Wire-Connectors-25-Pack-30-454P/202894280

If you cannot handle the wire nut because the #8 AWG is solid wire or its fighting you to get a good connection, you can use a split bolt connector. Be sure you have a good size box and use good 3M Electrical Tape to insulate them. Don't get the cheap electrical tape like at Harbor Freight. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blackbu...ERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-302436353-_-302441255-_-N

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-Super-33-3-4-in-x-66-ft-Electrical-Tape-6132-BA-10/100073402

Do mark the cut cable at both ends. There is no minimum height for circuit panels but no higher than 79" from the floor.

split-bolt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

interalian

Reaction score
So, I decided to cut the cable where it disappears up the wall and abandon the last 15'. Turns out there's enough cable from the main panel to re-route to a different spot in the garage, so I'll be able to connect a sub panel directly.

Now, I'm most familiar with Federal Stablok panels, but they're not available around here. Square D QO seems common. Tips on proper breaker types if I want some 15A 120v and one 15A 240V common trip.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know what the codes require in Canada, but in most places in the States, a garage would be required to have GFCI and AFCI protected circuits. I'm not in the trades, but have heard that Federal stuff isn't well respected. No idea if that is true. Their newer stuff might be fine.

interalian

Reaction score
It's an attached garage, and none of the existing circuits are GFCI. Oustide plugs are GFCI though. Build date was 2002, so it could have changed since then.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks