Polybutylene to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

nedriv

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a new member and have a question.
My current water main from my well to the house is Polybutylene. It's been in place for over 20 years. I am building a small granny-flat apartment and want to splice into the Polybutylene and extend water to the new building using PVC. This is for cold water only.

My question is: Are there fittings I can use to splice into Polybutylene and use PVC for the new building?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ed V

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You should not be using PVC to run water into the house. You should be using copper if you have the pocket book or polly pipe.

nedriv

Reaction score
Cass said:
You should not be using PVC to run water into the house. You should be using copper if you have the pocket book or polly pipe.

Cass, Thanks for the quick reply. I am not familiar with the code, haven't done the research yet. Is there some code reason to not use PVC or is it a personal preference? If code allowed PVC, what would the reasons be to not use it?

I can't use copper due to a slightly acidic PH from my well.

When you say I should use polly, you mean Polybutylene right? If yes, that's great! I didn't think I would be allowed to use Polybutylene due to all the problems people had in prior years. I just thought PVC would be better than Polybutylene. I would prefer to use Polybutylene, if it is allowed by code.
By the way, I live in California, El Dorado county.

Thanks again,
Ed

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"poly" in underground service these days refers to polyethylene. I think PB is still approved, but don't know if they even still make it. It is not found commonly, but the polyethylene is.

Copper is widely preferred, but in your case with low ph, it would probably not be appropriate. Also, these days, the cost of copper is enough to make you consider almost anything!

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Check out Qest fittings to make the tee or transition. Pex is what I'd highly recommend if you have the capability. In my area almost everyone who is not running copper runs all water lines in CPVC. PEX is still new and not many have adapted to using it but it is highly recommended.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
On a well water system, PE is the best choice. PB was never used for well work. PE is the norm except in the west where they still use galvanized and in the south, PVC rules (nop frost). PE has been used for many decades. Copper would be the least desirable for a number of reasons but mostly because you can't hang a pump on one piece of it and get it out very easily; in 1" or 1.25". CPVC is a very poor choice and if anything other than PE rolled pipe, PVC is best. Pex isn't a good choice and costs more than PE.

Phil H2

Reaction score
Check with the local building department. California has not been a plastic pipe friendly state (may change in upcoming codes). Since you have acidic water, the local juristiction probably has some plastic freindly exceptions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

PVC is the most common exterior plastic pipe used here. But, if this it the pipe from the well to the storage tank it may not be usable for your purposes unless you install a storage tank. And even then, it will only get water from the pump when the main building's system turns the pump on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks