Polybutylene to Copper transition?

Users who are viewing this thread

smallshop

Reaction score
I'm wondering what the pros use for this? Is it common to use the couplings, the gray ones? They just seem so cheesy (but what do I know). I can't seem to find a sweat fitting that allows a crimp on connection directly to the pb.

Thanks for any help,
Jeremy

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Sharkbite. Big orange box sells them.

push_fit_group.jpg

smallshop

Reaction score
Sharkbite doesn't officially support pb though, do they? At least it isn't listed on the packaging.

Are Sharkbites ok as in wall fittings (ie., no access panel)?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For the listed pipe types, Sharkbites are approved for enclosed and underground use. Check with your local inspector, as they may have ammendments.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sharkbites are not listed as approved for polybutylene. For PEX they are listed and require the use of a plastic stiffener that inserts into the PEX. PEX is a SDR-9 dimension and is a thicker wall tubing than Polybutylene. The stiffener would not work with the thinner wall Polybutylene. Both have an outer dimension that is copper tube size.

I have used many Sharkbites on Polybutylene under trailers but I do shy away from using them in a house. I have had no complaints from the usage of any of them that I have installed under trailers...

There are approved fittings that transition PEX to Polybutylene...
http://www.watts.com/pro/_products_sub.asp?catId=70&parCat=512

PEXxPBCoupling.jpg

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
PB comes in two strengths ,IPS & CTS Fittings vary between the two.
If you can take a sample to your supplier they can fix you up right fitting.

smallshop

Reaction score
So really, the only good-approved-safe way to do it is to go copper to pex to polybutylene...

I hate ugly hacks...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks