Polybutylene problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by gadan, May 22, 2006.

  1. gadan

    gadan New Member

    May 22, 2006
    my house was built in 1988 and has Polybutylene pipes. About 2 years ago I had a leak in one of the w.heater lines, and replaced it with pvc (just that affected area). I had another leak last year in the other w.heater line (hot water) and replaced too. A neighbor last year was able to replaced the entire house under the Class Settlement. I did not make a claim until now, the first leak developed before the 17 years (required) but I did not make any claim, do you think I still have time to replace the pipes for free?
    Thanks for your advice
  2. Cass

    Cass Plumber

    Nov 12, 2005
    We have no idea. You will have to contact them and if thay allow you to go by the date of the first leak you wouuld most likely have to have iron clad proof. I don't know if the neighbors word will be good enough. I would bet they would want a paid invoice from a plumber that did the work. Contact them ASAP.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    No. The time limit was 12 years and the only ones still covered are those between 5/22/93, (if they had leaks within the first 12 years, otherwise 5/22/94), and 7/31/95. Having a leak within the covered time frame just gave you an additional year to make the claim. It did not extend the time frame indefinitely. Your situation is exactly why I would tell people, as soon as I knew they had PB, to make a claim immediately, while they were still covered.
  5. Mikey

    Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

    Nov 8, 2005
    Hansville, Washington
    I hate to say "call a lawyer", but in most class-action settlements the rules of the settlement apply only to those in the class. There are several ways to opt out of most settlements, but in doing so you're on your own in terms of seeking compensation or other redress, and the terms are usually pretty onerous.

    So, if you don't happen to be in tha class, call a lawyer, or talk to one informally if you're buddies with him/her, if you want to pursue this on your own. The odds are you'd be better off paying a plumber than a lawyer, but I guess that's true in general.

Similar Threads: Polybutylene problem
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Polybutylene problems Feb 6, 2005
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Polybutylene Supply Line to Copper Sep 13, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice What fittings are there for polybutylene pipes? Nov 12, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Best fitting for connecting to polybutylene plumbing Mar 9, 2015
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Polybutylene advice and budget Jan 15, 2014

Share This Page