Polybutylene pipe insert

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rsmith99, Jan 10, 2019.

1. rsmith99

rsmith99 Member

Are metal pipe stiffener inserts still available for polybutylene pipe? I’m wanting to use a compression fitting.
    These inserts are larger than the PEX inserts.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

What makes you think that PB is compatible with a regular compression fitting? I am not saying that it is not, but I would be suspicious unless you find good info to the contrary.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. rsmith99

rsmith99 Member

Other people on this forum say they are. I have three that I have installed in my house that are working fine. I just don’t have the inserts.
    Thanks for your input!

5. Stormrider49

Stormrider49 Slave to rentals

Property Manager
    Inserts are available for PE, but I don't know if they would work on PB or not. SharkBite has inserts for PB that work with their fittings. I know that is not the direction you are trying to go, but it is a viable solution.

6. rsmith99

rsmith99 Member

This is under a kitchen sink, so nobody sees it. I have always been leery of SharkBite fittings. I just didn’t think they would hold up. Are they widely used?

7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    A sharkbite fitting, properly installed, works. They probably shouldn't be your first choice, mostly because they are a lot more expensive than more conventional solutions, but their advantage is that they are fast. They have passed all codes to be used in both hidden and open locations.

Three things with using a SharkBite (and any other, similar product):
    - the pipe must be undamaged - it seals with an o-ring, nicks, dents, or scratches can prevent that from sealing
    - the end must be smooth with no burrs and square cut to the pipe otherwise, it might damage the o-ring during installation - they sell a deburring tool that's a good idea, but not necessarily required
    - you must insert it the full depth.

8. rsmith99

rsmith99 Member

Thanks for the info. Not sure if poly is clean enough to seal correctly or not.