Poly water service, Old Timer's advice needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Stuts

Reaction score
My house was built in 1971 and has a black plastic (polyethylene?) water main under a 400 foot driveway. I have a sample of it and it is 1.375" ID (1 3/8") with .200 wall which equals 1.775OD. I have not found any hose barbs or fittings to adapt this to NPT or any other standard fittings. Has anyone heard of this type of tubing and know where or what i can use to tie into it? The house burned down in the 2018 fires and I don't want to trench 400' down my driveway. If I have to I will turn a stainless barb and weld it to a pipe stub but would rather find something off the shelf. Any ideas anyone?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would guess that a barbed 1-1/4" fitting works for that.
In poly they made 1" ID and 1-1/2" ID but I've never heard of 1-3/8". I have seen poly expand over time with high pressure.
In my neighborhood we've all been replacing our poly lines as they go bad.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got a question for you. The service is 50 years old . Your house burned down. I know those aint cheap houses. arent you running fire sprinklers ? We typicaly use the same line to feed house and fire sprinklers . 1 1/4 I dought big enough , up to fire sprink desighn I hope its withen spec.
Im sorry for your loss hope you had code upgrades if so the insurance might have to pay for adding the sprinklers ( I hope) which might cover a new water service as well

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
His house was burned in the WOOLSEY FIRE in 1918 no fire sprinkler would
save a house or any building in that type of fire, it would over OVERWHELM
the sprinkler system

CA. LIC. PLUMBING/FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR SINCE JAN 1989

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
missed the point master plumb.. Im saying I think he will require firesprinklers? is that 1 1/4 line 400 foot long going to supply enough volume ? no need for new supply? You being lic sprinkler installer might know if sprinklers are needed in malibu ca. I allways had to increase my water service line inch and a half or 2 inch on big homes with long service. but its been awhile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks