Poly B pipe with red oxygen barrier

Users who are viewing this thread

Phil L

Reaction score
My nephew is looking to buy a 28 year old house and we found that the radiant heat pipes are red on the outside with inner core being grey. The realtor's inspectors keep claiming it's Pex. On the pipe it says Vanguard Plastics on it with a CSA 137.8 label which points to it being poly B. Has anyone seen this pipe or something similar used before and do you know whether there have been problems with it.
IMG_5398.JPG

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Hi: I am NOT a plumber. However, I was able to google B137-8. It brings me to the following page on the Canadian Standards Association's website. https://www.scc.ca/en/standardsdb/standards/25575. I think it supports what your are saying.

I think a company called CB Supply made Vanguard (or bought the company). You could give them a call for a definitive answer.

I would be hesitant to trust a "Realtor's Inspector", as there is an obvious conflict of interest there.

Last edited:

Jaak

Reaction score
My nephew is looking to buy a 28 year old house and we found that the radiant heat pipes are red on the outside with inner core being grey. The realtor's inspectors keep claiming it's Pex. On the pipe it says Vanguard Plastics on it with a CSA 137.8 label which points to it being poly B. Has anyone seen this pipe or something similar used before and do you know whether there have been problems with it.View attachment 73684
Yes, it's Poly B with an oxygen barrier to help block Oxygen from entering the closed system water loops. This reduces corrosion within the pumping system (steel/iron pumps, air separators, etc.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks