Poll -- increasing trap arm diameter?

Total developed length is 2.9 inches. Would this increase in trap arm diameter be permitted?

• Allowed under UPC

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Allowed under IPC

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Should be allowed

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Should not be allowed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Dang. Stupid miss-type in the poll title. I meant 2.9 ft. Wish I could edit that.

In the sketch, assume that this is under a north-facing window.
A 1-1/2 inch slip joint trap feeds into a trap adapter. That continues into a 2 inch bend, 2 inch pipe, and 2 inch santee. Assume total developed length from U bend to santee is 2.9 ft. That was selected to be under the 3 ft 1.5 inch trap arm max for UPC.

img_1.png

Comments on aspects would be good too, such as if a 90 degree bend for horizontal to horizontal can be a medium bend, or must be long sweep, under some code.

Poll answers can be changed. More than one choice can be selected.

The

img_1.png

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Besides the typo.. I don't quite understand the purpose of the poll.

A 1.5" trap arm has a limit of 42" while a 2" trap arm would be limited to 60"

The notion that the same sized trap needs to be feeding the trap arm is probably some outdated non engineered notion that a group of cigar smoking old guys made up and patted each other on the backs cuz they got paid by the letter. How many 1.25 trap arms are installed today to a lavatory with an 1.25" trap.. none.

We install medium sweep ells for the trap arm termination to the trap all the time. I had One inspector tell me it needed to be a long sweep but that it was OK this time.. thousands of inspections and installations later its never come up again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks