Point-of-use water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Chesterton

Reaction score
I am renovating the master bath. We're at the opposite end of the house from the water heater, so I haven't washed my hands in hot water in 17+ years. I'd like to add a point-of-use electric tankless hot water heater (e.g., Bosch Tronic 7kW) that requires a dedicated 30A circuit. I have a new subpanel that I installed last year that's about 10' away (in the basement, so not line of sight).

My understanding is that the following conditions must be met (questions in red):
- I can use 10-2 wire to the subpanel and install a new 30A breaker.
- I plan to use Romex. Is this OK or do I need to use conduit or flexible steel conduit?
- It needs a manual disconnect. This can be a 30A switch. Can I put the switch under the sink near the heater?
- I am not allowed to install a 30A receptacle and wire a corresponding plug into the unit on a short cord. I must direct wire the heater. [Is this correct?] This is a bummer because I would like to be able to move the vanity from the wall, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
f it is only for washing your hands why not consider a Water heater from Amazon

Instantaneous Tankless Water Heater, Small mini 110V with remote control operation,Constant Temperature Heating for Kitchen and Bathroom, LCD Touch Screen Gold 3000w​

Or 4 gallon point of use from Home depot I used a few of these in stores that had a toilet and a basin for employees such as drug stores

Chesterton

Reaction score
I don't have room under the sink for a tanked heater, even a small one. The one from Amazon sounds just like a smaller wattage version of what I'm looking at. But my water in the winter can get pretty cold and it won't do the temperature swing. I could do the Amazon one anyway, but that doesn't change the code requirements, if I understand correctly.

Luke M

Reaction score
f it is only for washing your hands why not consider a Water heater from Amazon

Instantaneous Tankless Water Heater, Small mini 110V with remote control operation,Constant Temperature Heating for Kitchen and Bathroom, LCD Touch Screen Gold 3000w​

Or 4 gallon point of use from Home depot I used a few of these in stores that had a toilet and a basin for employees such as drug stores

That's a "China special" without a safety listing. It requires a ">32A breaker" but has an integral 15A cord. Don't leave the water running or your house will burn down.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not install a hot water recirculation pump that pumps hot water from your tank to the Primary bathroom faucet and dumps the water into the cold side until its become hot and then shuts off..

Aquasource

Electric on demand water heaters produce hot water at very low GPM at a 70 degree rise. I haven't looked at the unit you're specifying.

Chesterton

Reaction score
There's a lot to like about the recirculating pump, but our use is pretty sporadic. Part of what I'm trying to avoid is heating water continuously throughout the day. Thanks for the suggestion and link, however!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those recirc pumps can be activated with a timer or a switch that is either push button or motion activated. That manufacturer has a bit of info on setting them up that way. We've sold a couple of their systems.

push the button, do your doodie, wash your hands in hot water.. probably a fraction of the cost of the on demand system.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Look at chronomite.com They have dozens of point of use on demand tankless units. 120v to 240v. They are no bigger than a book and microprocessor controlled. If you feed it hot water it will shut off when the inlet temp matches the outlet temperature. . A 7kw unit is well over sized for sink use.

Chesterton

Reaction score
Look at chronomite.com They have dozens of point of use on demand tankless units. 120v to 240v. They are no bigger than a book and microprocessor controlled. If you feed it hot water it will shut off when the inlet temp matches the outlet temperature. . A 7kw unit is well over sized for sink use.
Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks