Point of use water heater recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering getting an electric point-of-use water heater for my seasonal cottage (used on weekends between late spring and early fall). It would supply only the kitchen sink and bathroom sink, which are adjacent to each other. These are the only hot water fixtures in the cottage at this time. I will eventually get a small shower and would get another point-of-use heater at that time.

I'd prefer avoiding a tankless water heater. The cottage only has a 60-Amp service. I'd also prefer going with a 120V unit.

Any specific brands/models worth considering ? I can easily get the Eccotemp EM-2.5 (2.5 gallon) or EM-4.0 (5 gallon) model. Rheem and Stiebel Eltron are other possibilites.

Thanks

Stiebel Eltron 235089 SHC 6 Mini-Tank Electric Water Heater, 6 Gallon, 1300W, 120V, 15-1/8" W x 20-1/2" H x 15" D

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Of the above, Stiebel Eltron has the best reputation, but I'm not familiar with their tiny-tank point of use product lines.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If needing to wash dishes verses just hands, a 2.5g tank is going to be too small.

WIth the power limitation, when you want to add a shower, you may need to search out a larger 120vac device, too. It won't recover very fast at all, but if sized for your needs, the amount in the tank should be adequate or people will need to learn to take very quick showers!

FWIW, you can't utilize all of the hot water in a tank since the incoming, cold water will eventually dilute what's left. The bigger the heating elements, the longer that will take, but most flows will eventually overwhelm the heat source. You can only count on 75-80% of the tank's volume when you are running it at full flow...s slower output use of water will give the incoming water a little more time to reheat, but it won't be huge with a 120vac heating element.

Many of the heaters will have a first hour use number. Take, say a 30g tank. For it to last an hour, you'd only be using 0.5g/min, and a typical showerhead uses a max of 2.5g (but not all of that is hot). So, the 75-80% listed above is a better indication of how much you can dump out of the WH fast, since there's little time for the heating elements to do much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks