Point of Connection/Main Line Question

Users who are viewing this thread

mattcammann

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to decide how to run water to my backyard for my irrigation system.

In the picture above, you see the front corner of the house, where the house mainline both enters the crawlspace to feed the house and where it splits to feed the front yard sprinkler valves. The backyard valves need to go just behind the fence you see on the right. There is currently no external hose bib or anything on that side of the house in the back yard.

I figure I have two options. The simpler option would be to tap into the house mainline in the crawlspace, since it runs close to the side of the house, and send a pipe through the exterior wall where I want to install the backyard valves. However, I've heard that one should avoid tapping into the house mainline for various reasons (noise, wear on the pipe, etc.)

The other option would be to trench along the side where all the mulch is and run PVC under the fence, all the way up the side, under the concrete pad and up to the front yard sprinkler point of connection. Clearly much more work, and I know that area also holds the sewer lateral, and probably gas too (you can see the meter in the picture).

What's the best option?

mattcammann

Reaction score
Thanks!

Just realized the main line in the crawlspace is galvanized pipe - what's the best way to do this?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually, keeping the house water and the sprinkler system water separate is a better idea. From the main, you branch out for the sprinkler system, before the PRV (if any) and the house shut off valve.

For one, you can shut off the main to the house and still have water into your sprinkler system, if for instance you go away for a few days and still want to water the yard (automatically).

Another reason could be back flow.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You must have a back flow prevention device to avoid cross contamination. Federal law, but not always enforced locally.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks