Plywood underlayments

Users who are viewing this thread

Prashster

Reaction score
Not exactly a plumbing question, but I figure someone will know the answer:

I'm installing a plywood underlayment (birch 1/4") on which I'm planning to put vinyl plank flooring.

If the seams of the underlayment panels are gently butted and sanded smooth, do I need to bother with patching the seam with filler?

Also, what about the staple holes? Do they need to be patched?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
If it says to do it, it's better to err on the side of paranoia and fill 'em...and fill 'em good!

I don't know what 'vinyl plank floor is' but if it's similiar to the vinyl sheet material, then this was done in a manner you describe in my kitchen by a PO---I tore up the floor. In the high traffic areas, you could see every seam.

Jason

Prashster

Reaction score
Vinyl planks are strips - not the big 9 or 12ft sheets. They're laid down individually. Because they have a lot of 'natural' seams I'm not sure how well the underlayment seams will telegraph.

It's not as simple as just being a matter of overkill. Overfilling the seams and holes can cause pops if the material gets pushed out over time.

I hope I'm just being paranoid.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Even small holes like a staple divot can telegraph through a vinyl floor. I would check with the manufacturer of the vinyl; I suspect their recomendation will be that all holes and seams must be spackled, and sanded smooth.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
seams

Parallel seams may telegraph but not be apparent. However, since your underlayment is probably not as long as the room, there will be cross seams and they WILL telegraph through, especially if there is any deviation between the thicknesses where the two panels meet. I might sand and fill those joints.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks