Plunging a Toto Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

golem

Reaction score
How do you effectively plunge a toilet like the Drake which has an elongated "collection" area. The standard plunger will not seal properly therefore not allowing a forceful plunge. Any vigorous plunging just results in water shooting everywhere.

I should say I installed this Drake about 3 years ago based on insight I got from this forum and am tickled pink with it. I've replaced the valve cap once and have had to lightly one-pump plunge it maybe 2-3 times over those years. Seems now I may have a partial clog that, for the past week, occasionally flushes sluggishly (when tissue is used) but has clogged fully on a couple of flushes. My assumption is that a persistent partial clog becomes fully (or near fully) clogged on some uses. I just can't get a satisfactory plunge to satisfy I'm actually clearing the assumed persistent partial blockage.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Korky Beehive Plunger is specifically-designed for keyhole and other odd shaped bowl openings. Works on regular toilets as well. We have several. They work great. Cross-handle at top is great for using the Terry push-pull-push-pull method.

99-4A_in_1.jpg

http://www.korky.com/plungers/beehive-max-toilet-plunger

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Beehive-Max-Toilet-Plunger-99-8A/203765220

golem

Reaction score
Much appreciate the replies!

Yeah, I used to use the brute-force one or two hard-n-deep plunges on the older style toilets and found it to work. Quickly found that not so "wise" with these newer designs 'less one wanted a shower. Learned a bowl full of water and short rhythmic stroking works wonders. Just seems I need to get a bit more force behind this one to complete the job (trying to stay away from snaking). Really liking the Korky Beehive -- Especially as is seems to seal to the lower contours. In the meanwhile I'll just give an extended Terry treatment to it with my standard force-cup plunger. Maybe doing it in excess of simply clearing the secondary clog will get the job completed.

By the way, I just reread the previous paragraph and no, it wasn't intended to be double entendre. ;-)

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are getting some flow, try pouring a big bucket or small waste bin of water from as high as you dare, as fast as you dare, down the hole, to get a big rush of water to clear the way.

golem

Reaction score
If you are getting some flow, try pouring a big bucket or small waste bin of water from as high as you dare, as fast as you dare, down the hole, to get a big rush of water to clear the way.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm going to add that to the to-try list not only because it's quite logical but also because it sound like a challenge!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are you trying to flush that clogs you Drake? I have had 2 Toto toilets for over 5 years, one Drake and one Dartmouth. Never have I had one clog. Normal human waste and toilet paper is all you should be putting it any toilet. Just wondering.

golem

Reaction score
What are you trying to flush that clogs you Drake? I have had 2 Toto toilets for over 5 years, one Drake and one Dartmouth. Never have I had one clog. Normal human waste and toilet paper is all you should be putting it any toilet. Just wondering.
Honestly, couldn't tell you with certainty. It's the ladies (not childrens) bathroom and never used by me. I'm pretty confident though that nothing more than acceptable waste is flushed. Keep in mind I did state that in over three years it has performed almost flawlessly.

golem

Reaction score
Those "cup" style plungers are not meant for toilets - they are sink plungers. Toilet plungers have the "bellows ending in a flange".
No bellows but my plunger is a 5.5" or 6" flange style. It's simply too small in diameter (or stiff) to completely cover/seal the drain opening which greatly reduces the effective plunging pressure. Performing the gentle up and down strokes which are suggested simply does not produce the desired effect due to water easily bypassing the plunger.

The local HD has Korky Beehive's for $10 and my current aging plunger is getting a little inflexible so I'll be running down there shortly to see if it's the "bees" knees. ;-)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The most common cause of clogging you describe is something caught in the trapway. This something can be anything, but common items are toothbrush, makeup applicators, tampon applicators, small toys, and the list goes on and on. Plungers usually can dislodge these things and you need a closet auger to get to them. Sometime you even have to take the toilet outside and go from the bottom up. Good luck with the plunger.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The local HD has Korky Beehive's for $10 and my current aging plunger is getting a little inflexible so I'll be running down there shortly to see if it's the "bees" knees. ;-)

We love ours. Let us know how it works for you!!

(PS The "bees knees" comment is cute. :) )

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It would be hard to find a bowl today that does not have a 2" or smaller outlet on the bowl.
Plungers have either a 2" end, or the black rubber plungers have a 2" pullout on the end.
Either way, with any brand of toilet, you would leave a little water in the bowl, and use the small end of the plunger in the bowl.
Using small strokes up and down, basically vibrating the water, then slightly pulling up a bit.
Normally the water will suck down at that point.
Many of the better toilets would rarely need plunging, and the Drake is very good. If they do need plunging, its just like the rest, it still uses a plunger sold in any hardware store.
korky_plunger.jpg

This is a good plunger to use. It is soft rubber with a pull out small end. It's a "one" hand operation.
Most people have this, not knowing that a smaller end will pull out from the end.

golem

Reaction score
Sorry for not updating sooner. :-(

I did get the Korky Beehive plunger and was totally impressed with its ability to mold to the contours of the bowl drain. This allowed for a complete seal therefore maximizing effectiveness of the push-pull technique described in this thread and throughout the forum. It's now been five days and I believe the "suspected" partial obstruction (that would morph into a full clog) must have been dislodged. I'm told even heavy use of tissue is flushing, well...flushingly!

Pretty sure my old flange style plunger was partially to blame as it's quite stiff due to age. In addition, while it looks standard in size, the flange portion doesn't seem long enough nor wide enough to aid in sealing if that's its intent. Maybe mine has shrunk.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've used a towel around the base of the plunger to help seal the eliptical shape of the bowl and force the water through. One hand pushing the towel and one for the plunger.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sounds like you need a better plunger. :)

It's more about technique. I don't push down hard at all. It's a very small up and down motion, but kind of quick. To most people looking at it, it looks like nothing. But then the water goes woosh! and they're kind of stunned.

Reaction score
I use the same type you have pictured above. And I use the same small strokes you talk about. The stool I had to use the towel on had a very pronounced "throat chute" to the bottom of the bowl, Not only elliptical but the throat closest to the front had a trough to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks