Plumbers cost to replace hosebib

Users who are viewing this thread

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
300 bucks to put a hose bibb on upside down?, and a non code compliant one at that? One of two things has happened here. Either the plumbers were not plumbers or, the original post was pulling your leg..:D

I swear though, not by me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hoe bibb

Or maybe the original plumbing company had the word "rooter", or a variation, in its name, and the plumber couldn't even spell plummer six weeks ago.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No wonder plumbers get a bad rap at times...it only takes a few rotten apples to ruin the barrel...

ExpertPlumberSVC

Master Plumber and benevolent Master
Reaction score
Website
www.expertplumberservice.net
Aarrgghh I am angry .. those guys should not be able to sleep at night .. you over paid, sorry and there is no excuse for having a "Wrong type of Valve" installed "Improperly".

If my company had done the work is would have been likely $175 to $200 and would have featured a 1/4 turn handle Ball Stop Hose Bib that would never again need servicing.

I am Sole Proprietor. My Reputation stands on everything that I touch.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
This may well be a joke and I hope it is...I do hose bibs for $189.00 as long as there are no unusual problems like the HO / plumber installing the original bib covering it with roofing tar before installing it...that one was lots'a fun removing it...that hose is gona kink big time along with all the other problems...I would guess 300.00 may be a going rate in some areas of the country...

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Aarrgghh I am angry .. those guys should not be able to sleep at night .. you over paid, sorry and there is no excuse for having a "Wrong type of Valve" installed "Improperly".

If my company had done the work is would have been likely $175 to $200 and would have featured a 1/4 turn handle Ball Stop Hose Bib that would never again need servicing.

I am Sole Proprietor. My Reputation stands on everything that I touch.
Never's a pretty long time. :)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I think we need to seperate the incorrect installation and equipment from the issue of the price.

There is nothing wrong with the price and everything wrong with the installation.

Where I live a licensed plumber or electrician will not get out of bed for less than US$500 and I have never paid less than that for a job no matter how small. I have even been quoted small jobs for US$500 that, when agreed, the plumber/electrican subsequently never turned up for. That's how mad it is on the East Coast.

It all depends where you live. And around here you'd better learn to DIY.

And Terry, in England we do not use back flow preventers for garden hoses because we do not use hoses to water the lawn. The rain does this for us. :)

And you may have also noticed that we do not get power outages affecting millions when it snows or there is a bit of wind. That's because we have the sense to bury our utility cables underground, which is obviously too complex for my poor American neighbors. It looks a lot nicer too.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My relatives left England because there was no power.
They had to use wind power.

I like underground utilities too.
My neighborhood has them, but as long as some power is above ground, you can still lose it.

back_view_fall.jpg

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
So our relatives are one and the same.

Welcome to the family Terry.

Your neighborhood looks nice. Beautiful trees and small, teeny-weeny ;) houses.

Great roofs but a few homes do not have chimney caps though. Tut tut.

Last edited:

BurleyMike

Reaction score
In town most houses are connected to the low pressure irrigation system(40-60psi). They use hose bibs just like that one for the system. Everybody has one in the backyard and the front yard.

They drain the system in the fall to prevent freezing. I have never seen a vacuum break on any of them. I think they rely on back flow to drain the system. Since it is not potable water I guess they don't worry about contamination.

I wonder if that plumber was working 50 years ago on my house. He installed the sillcocks right on the sheathing then they applied the stucco. You have 1/4" between the threads and the stucco. I cannot wait to replace them, no more busted nuckels.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And you may have also noticed that we do not get power outages affecting millions when it snows or there is a bit of wind. That's because we have the sense to bury our utility cables underground, which is obviously too complex for my poor American neighbors. It looks a lot nicer too.

Underground Cables never fail?
Thats news to me!
And usually it takes far longer to get them repaired as well!

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I would call the city;s plumbing inspector and show him your invoice and the job this "plumber did" I have seen boiler drains used as sillcocks and such. In Illinois the sillcock must be frost free, and the vacuum breaker must have the ASSE #'s stamped in plan view for the inspector to see. For a while the ones that have the built in vacuum breakers where outlawed in Illinois due to the lack of the ASSE markings so they allowed the ones that screw onto the hose threads. The vacuum breakers that screw onto the hose threads of the sillcock are allowed as long as they have a break away set screw so it can not be removed.

Now to do what that plumber did My bill would of been around $160 bucks 1/2 hour minimum labor charge service call and parts. But to do the job right and install a frost-proof sillcock with vacuum breaker it would of ran around 300 bucks.

Oh I also noticed you said the working pressure is 80 to 100 PSI?? That is a bit to high. Unless you have a presure reducing valve at the water meter. PSI rattings that high will casue your piping to wear quickly.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Good gosh,

Lisa,

Buyers remorse is a victim created by the one who signed the check.

If you can't properly protect yourself by asking questions and getting estimates first,

You are to blame for your situation, the extra costs. But look at it this way; you're faucet is working, that's it, you bought christmas presents for the 2 guys *why did it take 2 guys to do this job?* who did a short fast job. The faucet is incorrect, unsafe.

This thread reminds me of my third wife and a bottle of jack daniels.

One couldn't fix the other and they both ended up in the freezer for safe keeping. :D

G2G, police knockin' on my door. :eek:

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, Lisa,

If this isn't a joke, and if you acted like a so-called, dumb blonde in front of them, trying to be cute, it backfired and they did what came natural. (No offense intended to you.) Call them back on a serious note and tell them what they have to do to fix it correctly. If they don't pay attention now to you, which they may not; tell them the truth, which should be, you will call the Better Business Bureau. The check I would imagine is already cashed. Good luck to you I hope you can get this fixed.

svcalypso

Reaction score
legend_hosebib.jpg

Ian,
In third world countries like England, they may not have these protections for the public water supply.
Here in the US, they have plumbing codes for outdoor faucets that will be used with hoses.
That's why we can drink our water from the tap, we don't need "bottled" water. Pretty sweet huh?

This is a washerless frostfree hosebib that I like to use. It's a 1/4 turn faucet, turns smoothly, protects the public water supply, and it's frostfree.

I don't have a problem with the price that the other plumber charged.
My sister was quoted $450 each to replace hosebibs in Tacoma Washington from a plumbing outfit down there.
With any faucet replacement, there will be travel time, and shuting down and turning the water back on.
That will take some time right there.

My only knock on the job listed at the top of the thread, was the type of hosebib installed.
It is a high flow valve, granted, but it should have been legal too.
She can still thread a anti-siphon to it though.

I came from the UK (10 years ago) and I could always drink from the faucet over there - not what I would call a third world country. Over here where I am on a well (and thus no risk of contaminating a public water supply because last time I checked my pump will not pump from the house to the well) and I can't drink from my faucet unless I have inline filters for the whole house and also on the fridge.

Just my 2c

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I have 2 outside faucets & had them both replaced with the frostfree hosebibs. There wasn't anything "wrong" with the old ones. But they weren't frost free & did not have the syphon breaks. Since I had a plumber in for other work I figured I might as well have them replaced
With the addition I'll need a 3rd hose on the new garage side of the house. This line will need to be setup to drain the entire line where it exits the house & enters the garage

I'm curiuos if any other work was done inside to install the hosebib?
I can't tell if that is a screw on bib or a solder connection?
I've never seen a valve tilted back towards a house like that
20 degrees is freezing, you don't need a "bad" freeze really to freeze water in a valve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks