Plumbing washer and sink and standpipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Phantomvs

Reaction score
I am in Montreal and not sure on the plumbing codes if they would allow this.
I have a 3" main stack that is wet vented and in the basement I have a 2" ABS pipe that connects straight to main stack about 1 foot away.
I would like plumb in my basement a washer and a sink.

I added a pic I found online from Ontario plumbing. Is this OK ?

Or will sink overflow when washer discharges ?
Or if both are draining at same time ?

Thanks !

IMG_20170721_122353.jpg

Last edited:

EmyJ

Reaction score
Make sure that the standpipes are at least 2” in diameter and large enough to accept the washer’s drain hose. Having a P-trap would save you from hazardous flammable sewer gases. The vent should be at least 1 ½” in diameter located within 5 feet of the trap to avoid the risk of overflowing harmful gases.

A sink has higher capacity than the stand pipe. Having said that, front load washers put out lot less water and wouldn’t even fill a single bowl sink. Check this article on common plumbing problems with washers (http://terrylove.com/blog/general-category/how-to-maintain-your-laundry-room-plumbing/). It says one to consider installing a flood alarm in your laundry room to warn you of leaks. It also says that if your laundry or washing machine stops smelling fresh, it’s time to have to checked rather than wait to quit half way of your laundry.

Wrenched

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey Phantomvs,

I'm a plumber from BC. The code is slightly different, but they are both based on the National Plumbing Code.

The two-inch connection you describe, is that currently a stub?

An issue that could come up is that the 3" pipe may not be a wet vent. A wet vent cannot have a toilet upstream. In a residential build, three inch piping is usually a drain pipe for a toilet, or a building vent, though only above the highest level of plumbing.

The sink should not over flow unless there is a sewer blockage, or a large commercial clothes washer is installed.

The picture off of your tube does work, but may or may be accepted by your local plumbing inspector.

Good luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks