Plumbing Vent for Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Vin_ny

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if this fitting (attached) 3" x 3" x 2" - DWV 90-Degree Hub x Hub Elbow with Lowheel Inlet would work for the 2"inlet to be piped and used for venting outside of the home for a toilet or would it pose an issue? Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Elbow.PNG
    Elbow.PNG
    114.4 KB · Views: 215

Vin_ny

Reaction score
Thank you Terry for you quick reply and picture! This is for a basement toilet. My proposed toilet layout looks similar to the one attached where the waste line is coming from the opposite of the wall. Can a toilet be vented in this manner?

Attachments

• Vent.PNG
    Vent.PNG
    317.7 KB · Views: 763

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A wye downstream of the 90 like in the picture is a better way. The inspectors used to let us plumb them this way. I can't tell you how many I did like that back in the day.
Horizontal venting below the flood level of a fixture is frowned upon now. They do allow something like a lav to wet vent, figuring that you can always snake through the lav drain to keep the venting/waste line clear.

Vin_ny

Reaction score
I do have a 4" vent coming from the outside into the basement going directly into the waste line but it is before the main p-trap and this toilet would be about 3 feet away from that vent so I think it would be safe to vent the toilet separately. I'm open to other ideas other than the picture I shared.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Vin I doubt your code allows the toilet vented as in the image as Terry said when I started plumbing we routinely plumbed this way so much that I didn't even know its use had restrictions. To me its proven decent but slightly undesired if you were to vent it that way you would want the fitting labeled elbow to be a long sweep 90. too little info to offer another solution

Vin_ny

Reaction score
Thanks @Terry Love and @Jeff H Young. I have the 4" main waste line running perpendicular to where the closet bend is in the previous photo I attached. How about piping like this layout (with slope 1/4"/ foot)? The red arrow is where the soil pipe runs.

Alternate.PNG

Vin_ny

Reaction score
Thank you @Terry ! I do not plan on using this toilet frequently, but it makes sense to do it right the first time.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you could replace the 90 nearest the toilet with a 45, that would be an improvement. But that may not fit.

Vin_ny

Reaction score
For the vent fittings going from waste to vent
If you could replace the 90 nearest the toilet with a 45, that would be an improvement. But that may not fit.
Is this change to a 45 to save on space? Do you mean the closet bend or the 90 after the bend and before the vent? Sorry just want to clarify.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your last drawing is technically correct. I think I would install it as you have represented in post number 3 (the first drawing you posted) with a cleanout in in the wall for the vent.

I realize I'm contradicting the code and probably just confusing you as to how you should proceed but your making a 180 degree turn where 45 degrees would do. If the logic behind the code is the vent is liable to be plugged a cleanout would fix that.

If you go with the technically correct way you need a cleanout in the drain pipe. Which needs to be minimum 2.5 inches inside diameter.

Reach4

Reaction score
For the vent fittings going from waste to vent

Is this change to a 45 to save on space? Do you mean the closet bend or the 90 after the bend and before the vent? Sorry just want to clarify.
Replacing a 90 with a 45 means less curves. Some will be needed, but if routing works as well with a 45, the 45 will be better. A horizontal to horizontal 90 should be the long type.

Some consider pulling the toilet as being a good cleanout place. I don't know that IPC addresses that.

Are you sure you cannot join the toilet flow with other bathroom stuff before joining non-bathroom stuff? That eliminates the need for that dry vent for the toilet. The picture you posted in post #3 does that if the line from above is from a vented lavatory. Wet vents can go horizontal.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if he plumbed it the original way John there would be zero degree change of direction. and if less than 5 foot off the main it wouldnt require a cleanout . its not code there ( but my code allows undercertain conditions) but I dont know what local practice is in New York. Ive had a lot of change of direction with little trouble when installed with proper fall and fittings So I wouldnt mind either method nessesarily

Vin_ny

Reaction score
@Reach4 I would love to join the toilet with the 4" waste line but I am worried that it would need to be vented properly. As I pointed out and @Jeff H Young mentioned, I do have a 4" main vent before the main p-trap and the toilet would be about 3 feet away. Is this sufficient enough to not put a vent? I do have a cleanout near there. I also wanted to mention I am adding a shower to the left of the toilet from the 2nd drawing. If I use a 3" wye with street elbow 45 and replace the long bend 90 like in this photo marked in yello, can I use this fitting to pipe the shower it would be dry vented as well?

Attachments

• Alternate.PNG
    Alternate.PNG
    99.5 KB · Views: 253

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
@Reach4 I would love to join the toilet with the 4" waste line but I am worried that it would need to be vented properly. As I pointed out and @Jeff H Young mentioned, I do have a 4" main vent before the main p-trap and the toilet would be about 3 feet away. Is this sufficient enough to not put a vent? I do have a cleanout near there. I also wanted to mention I am adding a shower to the left of the toilet from the 2nd drawing. If I use a 3" wye with street elbow 45 and replace the long bend 90 like in this photo marked in yello, can I use this fitting to pipe the shower it would be dry vented as well?
I see nothing to suggest a vent isnt needed dont see any 4 inch pipe or a 4 inch vent perhaps I missed a picture or drawing?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Tell us about that "4-inch main vent before the main p-trap."

2. What do you mean by a "main p-trap"? Are you talking about a whole-house trap, and are you in NYC? Rules are different in NYC.

3. Any chance you could add another lavatory near that toilet? That would simplify things.

Vin_ny

Reaction score
The plumbing system is in my house not in NYC. Their is a 4" cast iron p-trap before it leaves to the public sewer system. Before this p-trap their is a 4" plumbing vertical vent. This vent is about 3 feet away from the proposed toilet. Yes I will add a lavatory near that toilet. The question I have now is do I still need to vent? And if i add a shower from the left of the toilet, if i can use a wye in place of a elbow bend from the picture i posted earlier with the yellow marks. I should have been clearer before. If I have a chance I will try to draw it out. Does this makes sense?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks