Plumbing vent, any chance this would pass code?

Users who are viewing this thread

ROBERT BETZ

Reaction score
I'm asking here because it would take like 3 hours between travel and wait time to get
answer from building dept and hope to save time and potential embarrassment
there by embarrassing myself here :)
This existing 1.5" vent was probably installed 1973 and may or may not have been inspected then.
its for a 2" kitchen sink and dishwasher drains. instead of the normal roof flashing it just goes
up into a chimney/ or flu vent flashing. see pics. it tops out about 10" above the roof inside the
flu flashing/vent, sure looks weird just to be kind of floating there. at least its 10" above roof and actually roof ridge line. that flu vent keeps it out of the weather, its in the garage all open and exposed.
IMG_20191105_145211.jpg
IMG_20191105_145409.jpg
IMG_20191105_145844.jpg
IMG_20191105_145859.jpg

just trying to save another hole in the roof and the time to put in a normal vent roof flashing if
I can.

ROBERT BETZ

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, not sure who did the work, it was evidently their attempt to provide the vent exit through the roof,
sylvan, you say as it is, does that mean it can be somehow modified from its present form to work? again just trying to figure
if could be usable, or just abandon it completely and put in new hole, new flashing that I know will be code. I imagine I would
just leave the existing vent flashing as it seems to do no harm other than just be an unused flu flashing.
I am doing the work as owner/builder

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the big cylinders are attic ventilation vents.

ROBERT BETZ

Reaction score
this is in the garage, and I think I just figured what they were trying to do, I found the remants
of a 2nd vent, so pretty sure they were trying to terminate the 2 vents in the same flu/vent flashing,
to save the work of installing 2 separate roof flashings. At this point I think I will just install a new standard flashing,
its open in the garage for easy access and the roof shingles are only 2 years old so should be easy enuf
to work with them.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
NYC plumbing code is the one I used and it stated Vent terminal cannot be placed in a flu or chimney or elevator shaft or duct and it also states how far from any AC units or door ways or adjoining windows

I always installed a 4 " vent terminal at least 5 feet above the roof although the new code allows it to be 24 above the roof if the roof is for weather protection only

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Theres a good chance that the roof was redone and the roofers used that thing because they didn't have a roof jack.

As HJ mentions.. Letter of the law. Tho maybe not the spirit of the law.

if the roof vent is done properly and is staying the plumbing vent should be re-routed to another location and a proper roof flashing installed.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like a big mistake to re-roof with the best shingle roof on the market... BEFORE doing the vents.
The inspector is going to tell you that too.
12"-16" above the roof is common.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks