Plumbing Through Posts

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaron_808

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Is it normal to run a 1.25” ABS vent through a 4x4 post that is supporting a 4x12 parallam and is a hold down? Even with a stud shoe, it doesn’t sound like a great idea to me. Is there a better way to vent this? It’s for a double lav. An AAV would be awesome but I don’t think I’m allowed to use one here.

Thank you in advance. This is an awesome forum!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 160

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definitely not normal. It could work if it is engineered and the engineer designed for it.

Otherwise, find another route, even if it means bringing the vent out of the wall and boxing it in with a soffit.

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. To a first approximation, if the post only has tension/compression forces on it, and you drill out 1.5" of width from 3.5" of width, you've reduced the capacity by 3/7. So the capacity could be restored by using a bigger member. Or by designing a steel plate to reinforce the post around the hole. But it takes an engineer to do any of that.

Aaron_808

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick replies. Like I said, awesome forum! These are great ideas. The whole vanity area has yet to be designed so I think a box under that window and above our mirrors would fit right in to hide the pipe. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks