Plumbing Through Posts

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by aaron_808, May 19, 2020.

1. aaron_808

aaron_808 New Member

Hi Everyone,

Is it normal to run a 1.25” ABS vent through a 4x4 post that is supporting a 4x12 parallam and is a hold down? Even with a stud shoe, it doesn’t sound like a great idea to me. Is there a better way to vent this? It’s for a double lav. An AAV would be awesome but I don’t think I’m allowed to use one here.

Thank you in advance. This is an awesome forum!

Attached Files:

2. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

Definitely not normal. It could work if it is engineered and the engineer designed for it.

Otherwise, find another route, even if it means bringing the vent out of the wall and boxing it in with a soffit.

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. To a first approximation, if the post only has tension/compression forces on it, and you drill out 1.5" of width from 3.5" of width, you've reduced the capacity by 3/7. So the capacity could be restored by using a bigger member. Or by designing a steel plate to reinforce the post around the hole. But it takes an engineer to do any of that.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    Build another stud wall in front of that one and put a shelf on top of it. you will only loose 4".

5. aaron_808

aaron_808 New Member

Thank you for the quick replies. Like I said, awesome forum! These are great ideas. The whole vanity area has yet to be designed so I think a box under that window and above our mirrors would fit right in to hide the pipe. Thanks again!