Plumbing Testing - New Construction

Users who are viewing this thread

Tomel

Reaction score
My wife and I have contracted to purchase a condo apartment. The condo building is currently under construction and we recently went on-site to meet with the project manager and electrician related to some electrical changes we requested. During our visit, the plumbers were in the process of testing the plumbing system for leaks in advance of the county inspection that was due for the next day.

There were leaks in the plumbing that the plumbers were in the process of fixing. There was a lot of water that had leaked onto the floor in our condo and others (not just drips of water, but large pools of water). Of course, final flooring had not yet been layed nor had drywall been installed. All framing had been completed, the roof was completed and the building "wrap" had been installed.

My wife and I were concerned about all the water and the potential for future mold problems. The Project Manager assured us that this was not unusual during plumbing testing and it would all dry well before flooring or drywall installation began.

My questions. Is this typical? Should we be concerned?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
What you saw is normal, and not a concern. It would be a concern if the leak kept leaking and kept the wood moist which then would grow some mold.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Are you soft in the head there sonny? EVERYONE has leaks. A plumber that does not have leaks has not done much plumbing. The reason we have to leak test is because there are often leaks. THAT'S WHY WE TEST. Go back to screwing with pools and quit scaring people talking about something you know nothing about.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Are you soft in the head there sonny? EVERYONE has leaks. A plumber that does not have leaks has not done much plumbing. The reason we have to leak test is because there are often leaks. THAT'S WHY WE TEST. Go back to screwing with pools and quit scaring people talking about something you know nothing about.

Yea I guess you're right...
A few months back I had my first leak during testing that I had in a couple of years...
I thought my clutch was slipping...

I feel better now!

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Pools of water on OSB subfloor looks like a disater waiting to happen. I know, I saw it this past winter on houses with no walls up just framing and I was like, "Isn't anyone going to do anything about this¿" Everyone was working away like nothing. I don't think there is anything to worry about.
As a plumber you get used to water REAL quick! Although it is easy to forget that most folks aren't used to your job being messy. I hardly bat an eye when something blows up in my face. Thing is we know that it is part of the game, rest assured the general contractor would be the first one raising a stink if the water on the floor were of concern.

3m

Reaction score
I hate to tell on myself but I missed installing a protector plate and had a drywall screw hit a water line, and like the other post if you havent had a leak you havent been plumbing for very long. It really makes it fun to find a water leak after the drywall has been installed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
test

It may be semantics on my part, but "testing" a plumbing system for leaks, to me implies a water test on a drainage system. Water piping is not "tested for an inspection", it is turned on to use it, and if there are leaks they have to be repaired, regardless of when the inspection is done.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the Seattle area, it rains nine months of the year.
So water isn't considered that big a deal.

Normally the general will run the heating system before drywall for weeks to shrink the wood before covering with wallboard.

When I was building homes, I would twist the thermostat wires together and just leave them.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I liked to air test DWV,took more time less mess,did a lot of water test on
DWV too,and when you pull the test plug from the test tee at the base of
the stack,it will be wet!:eek:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
HJ,this is the type of test ball we used ,can you show me the one you
are talking about?Just curious.

Attachments

• 248465_300.jpg.png
    248465_300.jpg.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 499
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks