Plumbing system design service?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wally Pfautz

Reaction score
In the plumbing business, is there such a thing as a design only service for the DIYer?

I'm about to embark on a one-man major remodel which will include adding a second story with two bathrooms, HWH, W/D and bar sink. I'm confident I can do the work, but have enough on my plate that it would be very nice to not have to learn all that's required for a good system design (codes, proper sizing, venting, etc.). Basically I think it may be worth it to have the whole system designed and spec'd out for me (ideally drawn out) so I can do the grunt work only.

Is that ever done, and if so, any qualified individuals out there in the Seattle area willing to bid the design only? I'm in the Greenwood/Broadview neighborhood.

Thanks,
Wally

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
design

Let me tell you how "design services" work, since every new building usually has a "design service" draw the plumbing system, because most building codes require the drawing in order to obtain a permit. Once the permit is obtained and construction starts, most of the time, the "design service" drawing is thrown in a drawer and the plumber installs it according to how the building allows him to. A drawing will give you a generic ideal for the plumbing system, but it will not take into account the realities of how the actual building will require that it be modified to take into consideration the obstacles and obstructions that will be encountered. I could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of jobs where the plumbing was installed close to the way an engineer drew it. In fact, on one job when something was in the way, after the concrete was poured, the superintendant said, "You shouldn't have followed the plan." But, in another spot when the plumbing was installed to make a better design, but something above ground was in the way, he said, "You should have followed the plan."

Wally Pfautz

Reaction score
Design service

Thanks for the reply hj,
What I am thinking is that I would have all the building structure (framing)in place before asking for help so all the obstacles would be visible and could then be allowed for. So I believe a general plan could be followed pretty closely. I know enough to allow for the major routing in the build. I'm just lazy headed - don't want to learn all the rules and codes.

It does occur to me though that the permit issued to a DIY're indicates that professional help is not to be used so it's probably a moot point anyway. Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj is right about designing for the job.

Besides, most plumbers can install quicker than they can draw and explain how to do it.
For some reason, people don't mind paying for installing, it's hard to get paid for design though.

In the past, I tried getting paid for bathroom design. On one job, they said they weren't going to do the work at that time.
The drawing I came up with totally changed their home from "old school bathrooms" to modern with very little effort.
When I drove by there were lots of trucks out there so I called my friends at the city and had the inspector drop in.
Sure enough, another contractor was working on my "free" design that was supposed to get me the job.

A year later the same homeowner had the b**** to ask if I wanted to look at their new house that needed remodel since I was so good at design.

When I was building custom homes, the large tract builders would come in on weekends and tape out my houses, I didn't get paid for those ideas that showed up in their homes either.

If you are doing remodel, I really think it's best to have the plumber do the plumbing in the long run. There are so many other parts of the project to be done that require less.
(I'm not getting in trouble with other trades now am I?)

In the field, someone would start running water for up to eight months before you would even consider teaching them about waste and vents.
The first instuction would be something like, Waste and vent goes to the back and water to the front, and don't get in my way, something like that.
Or I'll take my sawzall out and cut your pipe out of there.
Yeah, that makes a lasting impression.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks