plumbing slope in sink

Users who are viewing this thread

brs7377

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I replaced our vanity with one that has the sink on the right side, rather than the middle of the vanity as the old one did. I decided to just cut the pvc drain off close to the wall and run in with a 90 to the right and then with a 90 back towards the p trap and sink. Unfortunately the water supply valve was in the way (adjacent to original drain to the right) so I had to slope the 90 that I connected to the old drain slightly down (Probably 15 -20 degree angle). When I thought about what I had done, I got a little worried. It appears I basically made one huge p-trap. I used 2 inch pvc material with solvent connections everywhere (except from p-trap to 1.25†sink drain). Is this the kind of thing that will get me hammered by a home inspector when I go to sell our place? Everything is draining fine with no leaks.

P.s. I’ll post a pic when I get back home if my description sounds too confusing.

Thanks,

Ben Stone

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Everything needs to flow downhill from the outlet of the p-trap. Plus, you are only allowed 135-degrees (I think) before it hits the drain on the trap arm. While it will take more room underneath, I think you should have run it diagonally with a 45. The plumbing inspector would probably flag this and make you redo it. The back slope will not allow hair and other crud to wash down the drain, and you'll be cleaning out a full trap periodically as well.

brs7377

Reaction score
point

Thanks for the response. It makes a lot of sense what you said. I attached a photo just to show what I was talking about a little better. It looks like I need to mentally prepare myself for a redo following the home inspector's comments at sale time. I guess perhaps it is somewhat of a saving grace that I used the bigger 1.5 inch drain for the p trap and trap arm, but I'll keep an eye on the cruddy build up.

Attachments

• 2010-07-30 07.28.18.jpg
    2010-07-30 07.28.18.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,085

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can cut the tailpiece to any length you wish, as long as it fits into the compression nut a ways. That whole thing will give you grief, sooner rather than later. You should cut the tailpiece off so you have about the 1/4" per foot slope (down) to the fitting in the wall. A little more won't hurt, but you don't want too much until the vent.

brs7377

Reaction score
is this more like it

I took your advice, cut it out, and got (what I hope is) a proper slope. Can I get a smiley face?

thanks for the help,

Ben

Attachments

• 2010-07-31 12.44.33.jpg
    2010-07-31 12.44.33.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,052
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks