Plumbing Remodel & Bathroom Addition

Users who are viewing this thread

drunkstreetbum

Reaction score
Hi All,

I want to add a third bathroom to my house as part of a second floor renovation. I have cast iron pipe throughout my house and will be ripping it out and replacing with PVC. Two bathrooms upstairs, a single bathroom on the first floor, and out to the septic in the basement. I have a few questions in regards to wet venting and offsetting the stack. The stack was already offset previously, and with the current room layout I cannot change it. Is what I have shown in the images below to code in NYS? I realize I don't have all the vents shown, but all fixtures except the toilets & the kitchen sink will have separate vents. Unfortunately no vent exists for the kitchen now. The 3" vent through the roof is inside a wall. I had to gut the existing bathroom on the left because it was leaking - and I want to add the bathroom on the right at the same time to give myself a master bath.

Plumb Elevation.jpgPlumb Plan.jpg

drunkstreetbum

Reaction score
Anyone able to help with this?

Also, after reading through this forum a bit more I will be replacing the master bath toilet with a Toto Drake II!

drunkstreetbum

Reaction score
I will be applying for a permit for this work on Monday. It's been a long delay!

Can anyone answer my questions with regards to wet venting and the stack offset? The layout of my house does not allow me to do anything else with the space/layout besides this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The wet venting done with 2" will work on the upstairs bathrooms.
The kitchen on the first floor needs a vent, or at least an AAV.

I'm not a fan of the double fixture fittings on the new toilets. With the new toilets the water skips across and pushes water out of the opposing bowl.
It will work, but you lose a bit of water each time the opposing bowl is flushed.

drunkstreetbum

Reaction score
Terry,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I will be adding an AAV when I eventually remodel the kitchen. Without tearing apart another room, I have no way of tying in a vent for the kitchen now. It is functions fine currently, and since it's existing, I don't believe I will need to take corrective actions on it for the permit.

So the main stack offset is acceptable? I know it's not ideal, but I am correcting many wrongdoings from a previous homeowner. The worst of which is drilling 4" holes in 5 consecutive 2x8 floor joists, with no reinforcement...Metwood joist reinforcers helped great here!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks