Plumbing question

Users who are viewing this thread

catk9

Reaction score
When connecting a 3" horizontal waste line from a toilet into the main 3" line using a combination fitting, what angle does the combination fitting have to be. Does it have to be positioned so it is 45 degrees or greater on the main line? Thanks in advance.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
clarify

catk9 believe it or not, your original question was even more confusing.

What angle (how many degrees) does a combo make?

Then, tell me please how that fitting is to be oriented in space so that it makes a 45 degee angle with something else oriented in space. Be real clear about what is horizontal and vertical and then, diagonal (or 45) with respect to what else. Please.

David

catk9

Reaction score
I will try to describe it better. The 3" ABS waste pipe from the toilet is dropping straight down thru the floor to a combination tee & wye. There is a clean out on one end of the combination and on the other end is a 6 foot section of 3" that is horizontal. The vent comes off between the toilet and the combination. The main waste line is running some what perpendicular to the 6' section of 3" pipe. I will be attaching the 6' piece to the main line using the comination tee & wye. The long sweeping part of the combination fitting will be connected to the 6' piece. At what angle does the combination fitting have to be when I connect them. Zero would be if it was laying on the ground and 90 degrees, it would be sticking straight up. Is this any clearer?

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
your drain lines need to have at least 1/4" per foot of fall, so your connection should maintain at least that. You could roll that combo on a 22, 45 or 90 (straight up and down) if needed.

I'm still a little confused about your question, I hope this helps. Pictures are always great.

Brent

catk9

Reaction score
Thanks Brent. Yes it does help. I didn't know if I could roll the combination down to as far as 22. I thought there might be a code that said it had to be at the 45 or greater. If I can roll it over to 22, I can then get the required drop of 1/4 per foot. Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
abs_combo_right.jpg

You will need a wye fitting if it is on the horizontal.
That is a 45 degree change of dirction.

abs_santee.jpg

A santee is not right for that.
You can use a santee, if you are going from horizontal to vertical.
But not horizontal to horizontal.

A combination fitting is like a wye and a 45 together.

If the wye fitting or a combination fitting is used, you can tilt them like BAPlumber mentioned.

Last edited:

catk9

Reaction score
Thanks Terry and everyone else for your help. I understand now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks