Plumbing pricing and Charge methods - Help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chritter

Reaction score
Hi all, I hail from the Fraser Valley, British Columbia Canada... I need to know if I'm totally out to lunch on this?

brief story: I just hired a plumber, I was stupid.... lets get that out of the way. I stupidly I got an estimate of $k4-$6k from the contractor, not an actual signed quote. I thought that 4K would have been in the high side, but I was willing to work with that. Yes the plumber has done an ok job (give credit where credit is due). He came in with his kid apprentice who far as I could tell is a total greenie whom he spent time explaining what to do, did 6 hours of work one day, 4 hours the next, and 2 hours the third day. I even pared back some of the work from the original estimate, so in effect less work than the estimate. I know how much all the parts were, I can see it all and have cost them out (not at a plumbers discount) and even on the really high side it wouldn't be over $1000. He had all the parts in his van. There are no faucets, bathtubs, or toilets installed or bought involved in this quote Just little plasic pipes, copper elbos 9

the bill came in over $5000

And the kicker (for me) is that he will not give me his hours and material costs. The bill was priced out as a per "thing" cost... as in "bathtub fittings" (not the price of the bathtub BTW) $350, etc etc.... Is his normal? No materials pricing and no hours? But funnily enough I did finally get out of him that he charges 150$ and hour (????) after the fact. Sorry but the guy needs a class in math... at 150$ an hour he'd be at measly $1800. I guess if he wanted to pad the numbers and call it 8 hours for 3 days: that's $3600, then maybe. Arrrgh, What the heck... is over 150$ per hour a norm???? I always thought 75$ an hour was heading to the high side? But what I'm really confused about is the method of charging... no hours? and no materials costs? it seems so cryptic.

And yes I feel gouged. Anyone out there can explain?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
From that description, it's almost impossible to know what has been done.

I don't know any plumbers that bother making a list of fittings and lengths of pipe used.
Many plumbers do a "fixture" count and multiply by that.
And yes, I'm guessing he pulled pipe and fittings from his truck. How else would the material find it's way to the job?

I got an estimate of $k4-$6k from the contractor

the bill came in over $5000

You mean about in the middle of his estimate? And was part of that sales tax?
I know that BC and Washington both charge it.

Last edited:

Chritter

Reaction score
You're right, it's impossible to know based on what I've said. I'd have to give a list... which I don't have the bill in front of me.

Simply wanted to know average going rate, and how a bill is usually configured .

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
As a homeowner who subs repair jobs on your house, you are in effect like a general contractor. You need 2-3 bids for every job. Failing to do that, you open yourself to situations like this.

Since you provide very little details about what was done and what materials used - it's impossible to comment on the plumber. And as far as his hourly rate: he is only worth what people will pay him. Average plumber's going rate in the USA is less than $150 an hour.

Next time a sub contractor tells you 4,000 to 6,000 for a job, ask him to break it down for you.

Live and learn.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
$150 an hour for a master plumber would be common here. He would also be charging additional if he brought in a laborer to help him. Some start charging as soon as their truck leaves their shop. Pricing fluctuates wildly from one area to another, so it is pretty meaningless to compare.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You apparently got involved with a "flat rate" or "menu pricing" contractor, because that is how they do their pricing, like an automobile repair shop using a Blue Book. The "gurus" tell contractors that by using that method, they will increase their income, and now you why how they do it. But, no reputable contractor would EVER look at a job and say what it should have cost, because they cannot know if there were situations that are not apparent which could add to the cost. I do not even start my truck for $75.00 an hour. The "average" may be less than $150/hour, but there are many who charge $200.0 and over, especially those who attend the "make more money because you don't now how to set your rates" seminars.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks