plumbing permit - rough in - inspector will not close permit

Users who are viewing this thread

Clax66

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Recently we hired a company to underpin our basement. It looked like there were two permits that were required. An overall building permit and a 'drainage permit' Not sure if this is what is what it was called but basically it was for the sewage lines under the basement floor. All good so far.
Inspector came many times during the project and passed each stage. Near the end of the project he said that we were going to require an additional plumbing permit since we had stubbed up the plumbing pipes for the toilet, sink, laundry, etc. The thing is we have no intention of finishing the basement. We are happy just to cap off all these new plumbing 'pipes' and leave it at that.
The issue is the inspector will not close the plumbing permit, He wants to leave it open indefinitely.
This is a problem for me. I don't like leaving things like this hanging. If we want to sell the house with an open permit it could cause a problem. The inspector want us to finish all the plumbing work in the basement and this would involve framing and plumbing fixtures and I feel this is like we are being forced to spend money we do not have.

Is there such a thing as a 'rough in' that can be left without continuing?

I am in Toronto Canada and know that the rules may be different in the States but want to get an idea of whether I am totally off base in expecting to be able to cap off the pipes with caps and glue and have the permit closed.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
What your Inspector wants makes perfect sense in the Plumbing world, Sure you cap off now, but 6 mos, or years down the
road you or someone you sell the house too will want to finish out the basement without pulling permits,
If you did not want the Plumbing rough then why was it put in ?

Clax66

Reaction score
What your Inspector wants makes perfect sense in the Plumbing world, Sure you cap off now, but 6 mos, or years down the
road you or someone you sell the house too will want to finish out the basement without pulling permits,
If you did not want the Plumbing rough then why was it put in ?

A new floor was being poured in the basement and it would have been foolish not to have put the roughed in drains while the floor was open and the opportunity was there.
Regardless of what I have done anyone at anytime could finish the basement without permits.

I just see all the new houses with roughed in basement plumbing and I doubt these permits are left open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks