Plumbing making occasional weird noise...

Users who are viewing this thread

Wayne Lippman

Reaction score
My house is 15 years old. I have lived here 8 years.
10 days ago there was a strange hum/moan noise that I traced to the kitchen faucet. Turning it on ended the noise. The noise came back when I turned it off. After about 5 minutes it ended.
A couple days later the noise came back; my wife said it came from the shower. Again, it went on and off with water.
A few days later it happened again, and I found turning any valve on stopped the noise.
The fourth time I found the pipe coming out of the gas water heater was vibrating; the heater was off. I turned off the valve sending water to the humidifier and the vibration/noise stopped. Turned it back on, and it started again. I am now thinking the problem is the valve, but I am at a loss to understand it. Why would turning the kitchen faucet on affect the humidifier valve? I can just replace the valve again, but it would be nice to understand the problem.

Perhaps I should mention that I have had to replace that valve twice already. Turning it on in the fall it broke and leaked badly. I now have a Brasscraft TA17. (https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCr...let-1-4-Turn-Angle-Valve-G2CR19X-C1/202047059).

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
My house is 15 years old. I have lived here 8 years.
10 days ago there was a strange hum/moan noise that I traced to the kitchen faucet. Turning it on ended the noise. The noise came back when I turned it off. After about 5 minutes it ended.
A couple days later the noise came back; my wife said it came from the shower. Again, it went on and off with water.
A few days later it happened again, and I found turning any valve on stopped the noise.
The fourth time I found the pipe coming out of the gas water heater was vibrating; the heater was off. I turned off the valve sending water to the humidifier and the vibration/noise stopped. Turned it back on, and it started again. I am now thinking the problem is the valve, but I am at a loss to understand it. Why would turning the kitchen faucet on affect the humidifier valve? I can just replace the valve again, but it would be nice to understand the problem.

Perhaps I should mention that I have had to replace that valve twice already. Turning it on in the fall it broke and leaked badly. I now have a Brasscraft TA17. (https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCr...let-1-4-Turn-Angle-Valve-G2CR19X-C1/202047059).
Chances are You need to add an expansion at Your Water Heater. Do a google search for W.H. Expansion tank. You"ll get a picture of one. If You don't have one call a plumber. Good luck Sully

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a pressure reducing valve? It's common for those to start humming when they start to go bad. You can test by having someone turn on one of the faucets which cause the noise while you feel the prv.
If your humidifier was on it could cause that noise. Then with the extra flow of water when you used another fixture it went away.

Wayne Lippman

Reaction score
When I bought the house I tested the water pressure at 62psi. A bit higher than I wanted, but the PRV is behind a little door in a wall, and I didn't want to mess with it.
I tested the water pressure today and it is 90psi. When I turn a trickle of water on, it drops to 58psi.
The PRV is 15 years old. Is it worth trying to turn it down, or is it shot.

Pictures of the valve are attached. Is this the exact replacement?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Watts-25AU...educed-Pressure-Backflow-Preventer/1000188017
How do I remove it? I am thinking that I turn the nut at the bottom to remove it from the lower pipe, and then unscrew it from the upper pipe. Is that correct, or something different.

At my old house I cut a piece of pipe out and installed a new shut off valve and a PRV where there wasn't one before. the old shut off leaked and I had to stuff bread in to keep it dry enough to sweat fitting on. So I can do this job... it will be tough because the stupid access door will make getting two wrenches in difficult, but I can do it. Thanks much.

Assuming that is the right procedure, my 12" Crescent wrench is a hair too small to fit the valve nut. Can I use a pipe wrench on it?

Looking up the installation instructions I discovered that it can be maintained!
• To clean strainer; shut off inlet water pressure, remove strainer plug (2),
remove and clean strainer.
• To replace seat disc; shut off supply, loosen nut (51) and back off adjusting
screw (53) remove spring cage (3), spring (52) and washer (62). Remove
bottom plug (12) and gasket (101). Insert and hold screw driver in slot on top
of stem while loosening seat disc holder (47) from bottom of stem (27).
• To replace diaphragm; loosen lock nut (48) and remove lock washer (46),
diaphragm plate (60) and diaphragm (20).
Would any of this help, or do I just replace it?

And finally, I understand that 90psi is way too high and it has to be fixed, but is it in immediate danger?

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 182
  • valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

Wayne Lippman

Reaction score
The pressure raises with the water heater off. It measures 90psi with nothing on. Turn a tap on a bit and it drops to 58. Turn the tap off and it goes right back up to 90. I have the meter on the drain valve of the water heater, as that is the only threaded valve. I think that is okay.

I am going to replace it. It is behind a little door in a wall, and I don't really have access to rebuild it, and if I have to pull it out, it just seems easier to replace it. Perhaps I will rebuild the old one for the future.

A neighbor has a 15" crescent wrench, so I am good there. I appreciate everyone's help.

Wayne Lippman

Reaction score
Okay, I bought a replacement valve. When I undo the nut that connects to the lower pipe, do I put the second wrench on the valve, or on the pipe?

Do I put any pipe dope or teflon on the nut? Presumably I put it on the upper joint, but on the nut also?

Reach4

Reaction score
Okay, I bought a replacement valve. When I undo the nut that connects to the lower pipe, do I put the second wrench on the valve, or on the pipe?
I would use the flats at the top of the valve.

Make sure you turn the nut the correct way. I think that would be clockwise when viewed from above or CCW when viewed from below.

Do I put any pipe dope or teflon on the nut? Presumably I put it on the upper joint, but on the nut also?
On the union? No tape. I am not sure about dope.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks