Plumbing leak???

Users who are viewing this thread

streetneons

Reaction score
I live in Florida, house built in 2005. About a year ago I noticed a leak in the master bedroom on the floor near the wall that is shared with the kitchen area on the other side. I pulled the carpet back and there was a crack in the slab. So I hired a "master plumber" to detect and fix my issue. He came out and ran a few tests and found no active leaks and his theory was I need gutters and the water runoff from the roof is getting under slab and coming up. So I buy gutters and some soil to repair the area and days go on with no rain but I still have a leak. So I call the plumber and he said give it time the water may just be under the slab and needs to dry. So about a month later It still leaks and I start to notice a trend any time I run the dishwasher about 30 minutes in the water starts to leak in the bedroom. So I call the plumber he comes back out and says it makes no sense and pretty much just dont use your dishwasher. He ran the sink for an hour and no leaks in the bedroom and he said its strange and makes no sense. So I pulled the panel off the front of the dishwasher to see if it is dry in the back and it appears dry and no leaks from back there. Any ideas? should I hire another plumber and hope I dont waste another 300 dollars in leak detection. I have stopped using my dishwasher for months now and no leaks so I know I have pin pointed at least what makes the leak just not sure where. And if you do think its a leak under the slab with the piping any idea what that could cost or am I just going to be sold on a re-pipe, they seem to be a popular sell by plumbers.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the leak is coming from the DW, it would have to be in the discharge hose because there is water in the supply line even when the machine is not in use. I doubt there is a leak in the discharge line because that is entirely exposed and a leak would be quickly apparent. This doesn't help much in finding the leak, but I sure don't think it's the DW.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Water flows down hill without pressure. For the water to be coming up from the slab there would need to be an awful amount of standing water around the home. Gutters are always good no matter what so you didn't waste your money.

How is the DW discharge hose connected. Is it to the sink drain or disposal? Is it a single bowl or double bowl sink (two p traps)? The discharge hose is usually runs through the wall of the sink cabinet through a hole at the top of it. There is a slight change that the hose was pinched and on the discharge cycle a pin hole size leak may be occurring. It may be spraying on the wall between the cabinets. Or, the through hole maybe too small and over time the hose was chafed. I would take the bottom cover off of the DW and manual run the machine for fill and then cancel the cycle to allow it to discharge. You may be lying of the floor for a while looking for water. During the discharge cycle place your finger around the discharge hose at the top of the cabinet and feel for any water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks