Plumbing Layout and Sizing Input

Users who are viewing this thread

everydayak

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I could use some expertise. I am a heavy equipment operator and have laid quite a bit of underground sewer, but this is my first residential plumbing project. This is for a cabin I am building. It is being built in a remote area with no building codes. I do want it to function properly and follow standard practices. For scale the toilet is just under 5' from the soil stack.

All the best.

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 8.13.51 PM.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have two S-traps there - the kitchen sink and the lavatory. You MUST bring the vent off of the trap arm before it turns down. Personally, I'd also run 2" pipe for the kitchen sink, and I don't see any cleanouts. The bathtub can't have the toilet running by its trap arm until it is vented. I'm not sure if the WM standpipe is correct, either...I'm not sure exactly what's there, but I think it, too is an S-trap. Not sure if the kitchen sink an WM may need a larger line, but one of the pros should know.

everydayak

Reaction score
Understood, thanks for the input. I can see where I went wrong, back to the drawing board.

Kiton

Reaction score
EverydayAK,

I think you need to adjust your venting of the sinks, but certainly the bathroom sink. :

905.3 Unless prohibited by structural conditions, each vent shall rise vertically to a point not less than six (6) inches (152 mm) above the flood-level rim of the fixture served before offsetting horizontally, and whenever two (2) or more vent pipes converge, each such vent pipe shall rise to a point not less than six (6) inches (152 mm) in height above the flood-level rim of the plumbing fixture it serves before being connected to any other vent. Vents less than six (6) inches (152 mm) above the flood-level rim of the fixture shall be installed with approved drainage fittings, material, and grade to the drain.

PS

What app did you use to make the drawing?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer can't wet vent over the tub.
Bring the washer in below the tub. Both the washer and the tub will need vents.

Like mentioned above, vents can't go horizontal there until 6" over flood level on the lavs and the sink.

everydayak

Reaction score
Thank you guys, this is much appreciated.

How about this? This cabin is moveable and has a cold crawl space, I'm not able to tie the washer in lower than the "T".

I'm using a program called MOI 3D. It is an excellent piece of software. It's creator provides excellent support and the files also open native in Rhino 3D. The fittings were downloaded from Mueller's website. MOI 3D allows for extremely fast drawing. I use it to design and build all types of wood and metal projects.

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 4.43.44 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 4.44.10 PM.jpg

Asktom

Reaction score
Do you have that very special sanitary cross with a side inlet that is shown in the center of your drawing in your hand or is it theoretical? There are several other things wrong but none of them matter if you don't have it. Sorry if I sound sharp.

Last edited:

everydayak

Reaction score
Do you have that very special sanitary cross with a side inlet that is shown in the center of your drawing in your hand or is it theoretical? There are several other things wrong but none of them matter if you don't have it. Sorry if I sound sharp.

It is a Mueller Double Sanitary Tee with Side Inlet (02772). They are available online. It doesn't sound like it is the proper fitting for this application.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most areas would not permit the side inlet sanitary cross. One reason being that flushing the toilet would force water into the pipe on the opposite side. The "proper fitting" does not come with a side inlet. IT just keeps getting more and more complicated, doesn't it? As an aside, the traditional "double sanitary tee" had the two openings one above the other. The fitting being discussed is a sanitary CROSS.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks