Plumbing laundry tub into nearby waste stack

Users who are viewing this thread

alexlacelle

Reaction score
I have a laundry tub in my basement which the previous owners simply let drain into the slab near a drain. I’d like to connect this tub to a waste stack that’s about 2 feet away from the tub, running vertically down into the slab. The waste stack is 4 inches in diameter.

The stack I’m refering too runs horizontally on grade approximately 30 feet prior to where the laundry tub is. An upstairs bathroom and laundry room drain into this stack.

The easy way to plumb in the laundry tub would simply be to use a tee right into the stack, however I’ve learned in the past that basement fixtures should be plumbed in above main floor connections.

Here’s some pictures of what I have currently. I would appreciate very much if someone could give me some advice here as to whether or not I can simply tie into the stack near the sink, or if that would cause me some issues with siphoning.

Thank you!

20D33EDF-BEBE-4BC5-A89F-1A0DC67AFA5A.jpeg
F874FAF6-9CD1-4AAB-B4B1-1CBDB8DD09F0.jpeg
58EAD58A-292B-4A1F-897E-217B2ACCA2A4.jpeg

alexlacelle

Reaction score
It’s the second time I ask for help here with this with no reply. Surely someone out there can provide some input?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could probably come up with something that would work, but you would have to take responsibility for some inspector committing suicide sometime down the road.

I could throw a couple of things out there, but nothing that would pass inspection.

I've been working on my house off and on for going on three years. Mostly carpentry, moving walls, etc. Worst plumbing I ever saw. However, everything works properly as it stands, but I'll be making corrections as time and money allows. The whole house is vented through one 2" vent through the roof, for example. The 3" stack from the upstairs bathroom has seven 3X2 tees sprouting out of it from all directions. All capped off except one. Original plumber had absolutely no idea what he was doing or someone had trouble making a commitment.

alexlacelle

Reaction score
You could probably come up with something that would work, but you would have to take responsibility for some inspector committing suicide sometime down the road.

I could throw a couple of things out there, but nothing that would pass inspection.

I've been working on my house off and on for going on three years. Mostly carpentry, moving walls, etc. Worst plumbing I ever saw. However, everything works properly as it stands, but I'll be making corrections as time and money allows. The whole house is vented through one 2" vent through the roof, for example. The 3" stack from the upstairs bathroom has seven 3X2 tees sprouting out of it from all directions. All capped off except one. Original plumber had absolutely no idea what he was doing or someone had trouble making a commitment.

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I assume the issues here is that the laundry tub would be draining below the upstairs fixtures? That’s the only issue I know about however I’d love to know if there are other issues here.

Realizing it wouldn’t be to code, I could connect a vent between the tub and the waste stack if that would help the situation.

I’d love to hear your options, even if they wouldn’t pass inspection. I’m planning a kitchen reno shortly, and a working laundry tub would be very useful during that...

Thanks again.

MKS

Reaction score
Not a plumber.
Putting a tee in seems reasonable.
Protecting this connection from physical damage maybe an issue.
It may not matter that the rest of the house drains over it if the tub trap is vented correctly.

alexlacelle

Reaction score
Not a plumber.
Putting a tee in seems reasonable.
Protecting this connection from physical damage maybe an issue.
It may not matter that the rest of the house drains over it if the tub trap is vented correctly.

There isn’t much room between the sink and the pipe. Also, I can move the sink a little closer so that it covers the majority of the abs. I will definitely be venting this to hopefully prevent any syphoning.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tee off the stack close to the floor, run a short pipe over to a tee on it's back. Install an AAV on the vertical off the tee. From there run the drain over to the p-trap under the tub.

Reach4

Reaction score
Perfect this is exactly what I will do. Thanks!
Check the support the pipe above the cuts before cutting. Maybe add another hanger strap. Maybe the strap you have in the picture is enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks