Plumbing Issue in Kitchen Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

bcatalf

Reaction score
I am removing a drop ceiling and installing canned lights. I have torn out 95% of the drop ceiling. My issue that I ran into last night is that 2 drains from the floor above the kitchen have traps that extend below the floor joyce. I want the same height for the ceiling for the entire kitchen. I was think I could replace the drains and instead of them coming straight down, I could leave them at an angel to allow them to fit "inside" the joyce. Will this be okay? What can I do to make sure the traps don't extend below the floor joyce?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not too clear on what you are proposing to do. as long as it is just a slight slope and not extreme drop you should be okay. Pulling on the pipe or installing at an excessive angle can cause a fitting to leak. You may have to raise the trap which would mean shortening the pipe above the trap and lengthening the vertical pipe following the trap.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not clear on why the traps are too low. Is is just the trap elbow, or are the waste lines also below the joists? Picture would help to see it there is a way to raise it up.
'
Do you have a permit for the electrical work? I am guessing you have flourescent strips inside the drop ceiling? You will not be allowed to replace that with Non-flouresent lighting. It would be allowed to use the can lights which use compact flourescent bulbs.

Prashster

Reaction score
I don't think you can run the trap at an angle. You should be able to raise the trap up a couple inches by cutting the drain drop piece so the bottom of the trap is above the bottom of the floor joist.

Who is Joyce?

bcatalf

Reaction score
pictures

She is my friend in Atlanta. Too much going on. I have 2 different pictures for 2 different problems in the kitchen. The first one, I think I can just shorten the pipe that goes over the pipe from the tub. The second one, I am not sure what to do about that.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Take a good look at what and where the drop pipes that go into the top side of those come from and see if you could shorten those drops and use two fittings to off-set the horizontal line away from the traps.
Are you talking PVC pipe? If so then it should be reasonably easy.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Once you shorten the tailpieces on the drains as much as you can and re-pipe the wastes (if required), you may have to use ferring to lower the joists below the level of the p-traps.
Maybe only 2X2 required, but do the pumbing first and see what is required...
Unfortunately you cannot "roll" p-traps and "short" p-traps do not exist (AFAIK) - the water seal must have a minimum depth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks