Plumbing into open drain

Users who are viewing this thread

J Fairman

Reaction score
As a new homeowner and DIY'er, thank you to Terry and everyone who contributes to this website. I have found a lot of great information on this site.

Now to my issue. I have a slab ranch with an open drain (4.25" opening) in my laundry room. The former owner had a utility sink over the drain and a pipe running straight down into the drain. From what I have read online, I do not think this is to code? I would like to install cabinets and sink but was unsure of the correct way to plumb the drain so as not to create future issues? Would it even be possible to run the sink and washing machine into this drain without ripping up the concrete floor?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3734.JPG
    IMG_3734.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 291

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have reason to believe that goes to your sewer? It might go to your ground water sump, or it might go to a pipe outside.

J Fairman

Reaction score
I had assumed that it went to the sewer because it is the only drain in the room but now that you ask, I have no idea?

Reach4

Reaction score
You could monitor your sump while running water into that hole.

I guess with a slab, you probably don't have a sump. Your hole is like I have for a pipe that runs to my sump in my basement.

Do you have a sloped yard? Do you have a pipe coming out downhill of the house. I have a friend whose laundry does not feed into the septic system, but instead comes out outside downhill.

Anyway, if you think it is to the sewer, what is the ID of that hole -- 3 inches?

Last edited:

J Fairman

Reaction score
Reach, thanks so much for all you insights and assistance. I do not have a sump and there is no drain to the yard (at least visible). I do not have a septic system and I am on city water and sewer.

When I measured the hole it was about 4.25 inches in diameter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks