Plumbing inspection question about couplings.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by cpeters, Aug 11, 2019.

1. cpeters

cpeters In the Trades

I just put in all my PVC piping from the basement thru the first floor, 2nd floor and into the attic where I will put
    water in to do a test. I forgot to glue a 3" street 45 in the basement so I have a leak. I thought it was glued and started cutting it to get it out when I pulled it right out. So I glued it and reattached it with a piece of 3" and a slip coupling. So the 45 was fixed but now I have a leaked in the slip coupling. Question is can a rubber clamp
    be used in new plumbing? I'm am totally sick of this leak and want to move to check the first floor and above for leaks. I'm sure I'll find more. My pipes look more purple than white. Thanks in advance.

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    I'm guessing you use IPC 2018. 705.10.1, Just look under"JOINTS" for PVC in the sanitary section of your code.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Usually a "shielded" coupling, such as a Propex or Mission coupling, can be used for drain

[​IMG]

What do you have now that is leaking? Consider posting a photo.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2021
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

They make these for plastic pipes and a multitude of other sizes too.
    The coupling needs a metal wrap to prevent shifting of the pipes.