Plumbing in unheated garage in Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

kleslie

Reaction score
I have a faucet in my unheated garage that comes through the insulated wall from my laundry room. It is not a frost free faucet but there is a separate shut off inside my house that I turn off in the winter. The faucet in the garage is only used to attach a hose for summer use. I would like to extend the pipes and install a tap on the exterior of my house for easier access from outside. (see images) I plan to remove the existing tap on the wall and run PEX up through open rafters down to the wall position pictured. I don't think a frost free faucet will help me in the new location and i will STILL have to shut the water off inside the house in winter. But is there anything i need to consider in the install to avoid water being left in the pipes and freezing?
plumbing.jpg

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Leave the hose bib in the garage and tie off of it. in the winter drain both hose bibs. no water in pipes.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could vent and very carefully slope to empty the pipe, but you could instead blow out the water with a compressor, each year.

kleslie

Reaction score
THANKS ALL. Here is what I think I have heard from you. Leave the existing faucet so I can drain the vertical section of the new run to the new exterior faucet location and slope the run where possible. A new schematic below.
plumbing2.jpg

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
I mean you'll be able to completely drain the pipe and you'll have 2 hose bibs instead of one. If you knew me I am a man of few words.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks