Plumbing in basement exterior wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Luketaylor0

Reaction score
hey there, I'm wanting to finish my basement laundry room, the house was built in the early 70's, there is a drain for the upstairs sink that runs right into the concrete floor up against the concrete exterior wall, a vent that also runs into the floor, and hot/cold copper that run with them for the washing machine and the washing machine drain that ties into the sink drain, is it recommended the plumbing be run outside the drywall that will be there? the copper is no biggy to move as I'm thinking it should be moved, and I mean neither is the abs, but the drain and vent that go directly into the floor right up against the wall with pretty well no air gap into the concrete, should I leave em be or run them outside the drywall and back into the floor at the bottom of the wall, please forgive my ignorance. Thanks!

Wrenched

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey Luke,

I don't think there are any code related issues for doing it either way(there are still right and wrong ways of piping the system). Most piping is run inside walls because it gives a cleaner look, and gives a bit more space. It does mean that any future changes will involve opening the wall. The choice depends on the size of the pipe, the space inside the wall, and the desired aesthetic. I would make sure that the vent is actually a vent (dry vents cannot be run nominally horizontal below the flood level rim of the fixture they serve), and plan out all piping before you begin work. Note that local bylaws generally require permits to add plumbing fixtures. Good luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks