Plumbing for toilet valve...

Users who are viewing this thread

I26

Reaction score
I needed to change out the tank components. I could not shut off the water since the valve seal was shot. I picked up a new valve and tried to use the old compressing ring hoping it would seal. Well over time it must drip. I would like to cut off the pipe behind the compression ring to install a new one but that will leave me with such a small stub I may not be able to get the coupler nut on to attach the new valve. So whats the easy way to repair this?
I was thinking of soldering on a coupling to extend it then attach the new valve.
I am not up on all the plumbing terms so please realize that. Any advice would be great.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
If your going to solder a coupling onto the end why not just solder on a new shut off valve. In the future you could unsolder it and replace.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
A coupling and a valve have the same amount of space to solder to. One would solder on just as easy as the other.

I have seen a tool that is used to remove those rings for the compression fittings you might want to look into one. I don't know how well they work but it could be worth the try.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks