Plumbing for bathroom redesign

Users who are viewing this thread

Kitt

Reaction score
I've learned so much from reading this great forum, and I'd like your plumbing guidance. For my 2nd floor master bathroom, I'm combining 2 rooms, getting rid of adjoining wall (has vent), moving the WC and lav, installing a tub, and enlarging the shower. I'd also like to get rid of the shower bulkhead to reclaim 3 sq feet of bathroom. While I plan on hiring a plumber and getting permits, I need to figure out what's possible to begin with. I've done enough demo to see the current plumbing. The main stack is 3". Other drains and vents are 1.5" except the 2" shower drain and 3" WC drains. All the drains go down in what is now the middle of the new room. The 8" joists run left to right. There is open channel below and perpendicular the joists that is created by a bulkhead on the first floor. It is 19" in from the outside wall on the left, is 12" deep (not including 8" from floor joists) and 15" wide, and the 3" drains run along the channel before heading down.

The first image is the current layout, where red items are going away, and green items are moving. The second image is the desired layout, and my best guess a plumbing solution, with new stuff in green. I intend any specific fittings yet. Ohio is IPC code if that makes any difference. I struggled with horizontal vents, finally learning about wet vents (in purple). I don't see any other way to vent the new tub. I'm not changing anything in the adjacent guest bathroom (I colored its plumbing gray).

Proposed changes include:
  • Move WC about 4 feet to the corner, and wet vent through guest bathroom lav2a. Change lav2a to have 2" drain to account for WC went vent requirements, and drain lav2a through 3" WC pipe.
  • Remove existing vents for shower and WC that require shower bulkhead, opting for wet vents.
  • Add 2" vent connected in attic for lav1 in the master bath, and then use it's drain as wet vent for shower and tub.
  • Route vent from attic inside closet wall to serve downstairs kitchen vent.
  • Maybe move shower drain near wall to have drain tray. Alternative would be to move drain to center of shower, about a 24" difference to wet vent.
Note that the left side is an outer wall that has 2"x4" studs covered by insulation board and siding. I've tried to avoid planning vents in that outside wall since I will then have less insulation and worry about cold spots on wall in a humid bathroom. Maybe I'm being overly cautious.

Questions:
Is there a better way to lay this out?
Could the dry vent to lav1 just be 1.5", and then make the drain/wet-vent 2"?
Does tub and shower drain need to be 2" or just 1.5"
I have no idea what connector to use at the junction in the middle of the room of lav1, tub, and shower. Maybe a double wye point down (vertical)?

Any other guidance?

upload_2018-8-20_17-35-34.png

upload_2018-8-20_18-19-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-20_17-29-29.png
    upload_2018-8-20_17-29-29.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 168
  • upload_2018-8-20_17-39-46.png
    upload_2018-8-20_17-39-46.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 174
  • upload_2018-8-20_18-15-33.png
    upload_2018-8-20_18-15-33.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 177

Reach4

Reaction score
The second image is the desired layout, and my best guess a plumbing solution, with new stuff in green.
It looks to me like each of your floorplan views still has the wall in place.

Kitt

Reaction score
In the first image there is a red wall w/door between the gray shower and, below it, the red sink. It is this wall that is removed in the second image, such that there is no wall between the shower and the new tub. The walls that did not change are the guest bathroom wall and as well as the closet wall, and the outer wall. It is harder to see in the pipe diagrams, but easier in the floor plan.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks