Plumbing Fleck stainless bypass to 3/4" copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Boilers

Reaction score
I'm wondering how best to connect 3/4" copper which comes in above my new Fleck 5600SXT system to a 3/4" Fleck stainless steel bypass valve. I'm not afraid to sweat copper, and installed the last softener that way. But I'm thinking that maybe a little flex in the line could be a good thing. I don't have experience with flexible water connectors other than the braided lines to fixtures and toilets, and I don't know if I trust the push on connectors.

How about something like this from Falcon, which has a sweat connection at the copper:
http://falconstainless.com/product/h-3404-34-fip-x-78-o-d-copper-sweat-connector-72-i-d/

Also, I will need a nipple at the bypass valve. Should I use stainless or is brass OK?

Thanks.

Attachments

• SWTF-15.jpg
    SWTF-15.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 320

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The falcon sweat are perfect. I would not recommend a union as the falcon connector itself is a union on the softener side. Why add more components? A brass nipple is my preference as stainless to stainless gaulling is a problem.

Boilers

Reaction score
Thanks. One more question, and bit bit off topic: how best to support copper pipes like this? This is my current setup (water heater to the right, softener below) and I've always thought the softener was carrying a bit of the weight and shouldn't have. I will be cutting into the copper above the current bypass. Is there strapping I can get to support from the joists above?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there strapping I can get to support from the joists above?
Search for pipe hanger , hanger tape, and tab tape.

Your favorite store with plumbing supplies will have a selection.

ditttohead

Reaction score
FYI, your divertaflo bypass is in an odd position. The handle should be pushed all the way in, not partially as shown. I would recommend removing the divertaflo, they are difficult to find anymore. I believe they are now owned by Watts but they don't really promote them anymore. I still stock the stems, but we really haven't sold many for nearly 10+ years.

Old

Reaction score
Alternatively you could use a split ring pipe hanger to hang the plumbing from above. Something like this with all-thread cut to length.

split-ring1.jpg

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That all-thread is mighty pricey. I used steel rod and threaded each end for a couple inches. Cheaper and looked better, imho.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Threading your own rod does look mighty nice! I have seen a couple jobs where they did that, but I also had to laugh when I followed up a year later and had to do some minor adjustment... argh, ended up replacing it with all thread anyway...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks